Which tube bender?

steve_d

Have been back through many posts and can find plenty of info about making cages and light reference to the bender used but from all this have come away with only the following....

JD2 Model 3

Tubela H3PR

I will not be using this very often so doubt I can justify hydraulic which leaves the JD2. Is this really the only logical choice or are there others I should consider?

Any suggestions of the best place to buy?

Many thanks

Steve

Without any knowledge of the job you want to do, I would suggest that a push bender like this is probably going to do what you want. It has the advantage of being a proper industrial quality tool and will hold it's value when you have had enough of storing it.

This machine is very similar to an H3 which I have used to build all sort of stuff.

ive been looking into getting a JD2 model 3 and one die. Trick tools on ebay in the states will ship to the UK, the quote i got was £500 shipped, but then theres the import taxes, not sure how there worked out.

Also spoke to tubela they quoted £660 which was good until they added VAT and it came to around £750 to my door.

Does anyone know how much you would be charged for importing?

My experience of a push bender (H3PR) with CDS (45 x 2.6) is that it can only do very gentle bends (10 - 15 degrees - the angle between the sloping bit of a landy hard top roof and the flat bit) before the inner wall ripples.

I haven't had spectacular results with blueband either, despite all the dies being genuine Tubela.

For the difference in cost I would go for an JD2 as it will bend CDS and blueband comfortably.

Hi Steve, I have a Tubela H3PR and a JD2 bender. You are welcome to use either - either in my workshop or take them away and have a go at yours for a few days / weeks.

Let me know if thats of interest, I owe you a favour!

Cheers, Al.

Thanks Al, will most likely take you up on that even if we only come over to have a look and pick your brains.

Am in the process of putting a business in place and we know we will need to make up roll bars and roll cages for some customers.

As well as asking which is the best has anyone got one to sell?

Steve

I have a Machine Mart 12T tube bender and it works fantastically well on BSP pipes for all manner of jobs.

Thats right. if you use CORUS pipe the outside diameter is more or less identical to the former sizes on the bender. Use cheaper /slightly smaller tube and the end result is a rippled bend on the inner bend radius or worse still a kinked pipe that looks as though you have bent it around your knee or just squashed and whacked it on the wall to take your anger out. Trust me, im a pipe fabricator.

yeah, knob of a brother tried to use it on scaffolding tube and couldnt get it to work - read the instructions dimwit, is says BSP pipe!!!

So I bought a bit and tried it - perfect!!

Out of interest, Ive no interest in comp spec rollcages, but i know theres a size you're supposed to use - is it a BSP size?

Out of interest, Ive no interest in comp spec rollcages, but i know theres a size you're supposed to use - is it a BSP size?

Seriously, just think about this for a minute.... Using any old tube to make a cage is hugely dangerous as it gives you (or any subsequent owners) false security and, in the event of a roll, the cage could well fail - the result is lots of sharp, open tube ends flying around and it will not end well if you happen to be in the way of one of them. The price of the minimum spec as per the Blue Book is corus 'blue band' which really isn't that expensive.

By the way, if anyone wants to have a go on a JD2 and do some bends then they are welcome to pop over and have a go. However, space is a little tight at the moment for big stuff as the build is in the way....

Zim, no, I didn't get the hydraulic ram as it isn't that difficult doing it by hand. If I was doing bends all day, every day then I would certainly do it but for the occasional cage/frame it isn't worth the price IMHO

Cheers for the reply :) the reason i asked is i'm sure i remember reading on the site, that you need a ram if doing 2" tube etc.

have you got a picture of your setup ?

G

No, I don't think you need a ram for any tube you can bend in a Model 3 however they probably advise it as you'll know about it if you do a lot of bends in a day. Here's the best picture I could find of my setup - the stand I made was very fast and dirty basically using material I had lying about. However, it works OK.

DSC01257.jpg