Track rod ends

Hi

I'm trying to refit my track rod after removing one end to allow me to get the radius arms off. When refitting the track rod pins back to the hub mounting, the nut is spinning the whole pin and I can't get it done up. What do I need to do?

I assume you are using a self locking nut. Are you ? Then tighten with an ordinary nut then fit the self locking nut.

Can you just confirm this technique for me? You use an ordinary nut to tighten the TRE and then take it off and fit the locking nut which will now not spin the shaft as the TRE is firmly bedded into the "thing it attaches to".

I like this idea as well.

Can you just confirm this technique for me? You use an ordinary nut to tighten the TRE and then take it off and fit the locking nut which will now not spin the shaft as the TRE is firmly bedded into the "thing it attaches to".

I like this idea as well.

You can often get this to work with the old nut, as the threads are worn and the plastic non-existant :)

Hi

I'm trying to refit my track rod after removing one end to allow me to get the radius arms off. When refitting the track rod pins back to the hub mounting, the nut is spinning the whole pin and I can't get it done up. What do I need to do?

Have a mate step on the trackrod while you tighten the nut.

If the vehicle is raised on a lift, have a mate grab the rod with both hands and raise himself off the floor, thereby pressing the rod down with his entire bodyweight.

If you are alone, grab the trackrod with one hand and lift yourself up so most of your bodyweight pushes downward on the rod while you use the other hand to tighten the nut.