Vibrating Side Mirrors

It will or is the mounting screws that hold the arm to the door hinge that have come loose.....trouble is you need to remove the hinge from the door to get at the screws.

We fit a small rubber gasket between the arm and hinge to help stop the movement.

I had to take the door off mine to sort out loose hinge screws on the passenger side mirror last weekend. Doesn't take long and must be a factory fault with the twit that puts them on as my last 90 suffered from the same problem on the same mirror at about the same age!

• 3 months later...

finally solve this one. after ripping everything out, still the same. tighten all the bolts to the door and the mirror arm, no difference.

I decided i'm at my wits end and decided to wedge a piece of paper folded 4 time at the ball head of the arm where it meets the cup on the mirror back. done. the mirror doesn't vibrate anymore.

finally solve this one. after ripping everything out, still the same. tighten all the bolts to the door and the mirror arm, no difference.

I decided i'm at my wits end and decided to wedge a piece of paper folded 4 time at the ball head of the arm where it meets the cup on the mirror back. done. the mirror doesn't vibrate anymore.

I had to rebuild the balls with chemical metal and smooth them back to round again - no wobble and they adjust again ...

• 4 months later...

Hmmm. yes. Similar problem here! Only worse because its my nearside mirror - much harder to adjust when it flops down and all you can see is the ground next to the front wheel!

Anyone got any top tips for stopping this movement? Apart from just waiting for it to gradually stiffen up and never oiling it again?

Vulch

PS apologies for reviving an old post....

I have been using the larger mirror heads on std Defender arms for over 15-years now and I have never had a problem with the mirrors tilting back at speed, I think that particular problem is just down to there being a good contact between the ball and the mirror head.

Just fitted a pair of Spafax 'unbreakable' heated heads (just sold the large heated ones on the forum) and these have a very good contact between the mirror and the ball, no chance of them moving when tightened up.