Where oh where can it go

Having seen the second hand prices of Eberspatchers are down to more sensible levels on the Bay, I have been considering on for my 51 plate TD5 CSW 90 with no load space bulkhead and 4 load bay seats.

There has been a number of threads on here as to where to place one of these in a 110, but with no second row of seats, I am lacking the obvious place to put it.

Short of buying a 110, where can it be mounted?

Martin

My D2 is on the ceiling in the back, with the exhaust coming out through the back of the roof to the left of the back door. It was the only place it could go that was out of the way and not likely to be submerged in muddy water. I don't have a photo to hand.

I assume you are talking about the coolant heater and not the air heater. On my 90 (which is a NAS soft top converted to tdi) I mounted my Ebersparcher directly in front of the heater box (which is on the right side of my truck). There is just enough space between the heater and the coolant reservoir. I realize that there is a difference between RHD and LHD, but there is no space under the hood (bonnet) where it will fit? Even if you relocate something?

Hi!

I have installed my D4 under the left seat and have made channels using T-pieces and hose under both seats. It takes the circulating air from the left footwell. So it blows warm air to two channels in the rear footwell (110 TD5 CSW) and for the front right footwell. Before installation I sealed the under seat compartment using sikaflex to prevent water ingress. Has worked extremely well for me, and everything is hidden! You can buy all those parts needed for installing hoses and vents cheapishly from camper/caravan stores.

I am looking at the air heater, not the coolant heater.

I use the 90 as an "office" when on site, usually when it is hammering down with rain etc. Hence the engine will not be on, but the office space needs heating.

@FF: I don't have your constraints as I do not take mine wading past the door sills! It would spoil the carpets, and god would it stink inside for a while! It is a TD5 - and hence wading delicate!! (and no portals to aid underside access). It is an interesting place to put it though, close to the fuel tank.

@Western: The idea of sticking it between the seats and the front of the rear wheel arch appeals: I will have to check clearance when I next get to where I have left the truck.

@petepilot: The battery lives in the left box, have you kept that in the same compartment, or what did you do with the battery. The right box of course contains the delicate ECU!

*Reb78 Great price - better than the bay - I will enquire.

Cheers guys

Martin

I love the fact that a TD5 is more wading delicate than my V8 :lol:

Aaaanyway, one of the most practical suggestions I've seen for mounting an eberspacher is to replace the standard heater box with it, or graft it on, so it's blowing through the standard ducting etc. The Defender heater and intake is massive so should be easily enough space to fit an eber in there.

I love the fact that a TD5 is more wading delicate than my V8 :lol:

To be fair, you do sit a little further from the water........ ;)

To keep things simple, inside the truck would be choice for me. On the driver side behind the seat seems good (if it will fit) or somewhere high up on the back end.

If it did go behind the seat, where would the combustion air inlet come from to keep it protected?

Martin

To be fair, you do sit a little further from the water........ ;)

To keep things simple, inside the truck would be choice for me. On the driver side behind the seat seems good (if it will fit) or somewhere high up on the back end.

If it did go behind the seat, where would the combustion air inlet come from to keep it protected?

Martin

either from inside the truck or from a intake grafted into the external body panel

I havent received it yet, but i have paid a few days ago. I'll reccomend them for sure when i have the heater in my hands!

OK, the heater was sat in our postroom at work and noone thought to tell me! So i have received it. If you want a space heater for your truck see my link in the post above. I reckon £150 is better and fairer final price than most of the ebay auctions...

Mine is in the same box with the battery, and they live happily together, although I have an other one using the D4 and a split charge system. Otherwise I would drain the starter battery. Had to make brackets for the battery and to move it 2 inches to outward to allow that D4 to fit. Otherwise, no problem. That is the usual place they put those Eberis here in sub-arctic Finland where every TD5 has to have those, for not being the warmest car... ;) I personally wouldn´t place it under the center seat, open to all elements even when not wading. Road salt, spraying water, mud, etc. although they do say in the installation guide that you can install it under the car.

• 2 weeks later...

Mine is in the same box with the battery, and they live happily together, although I have an other one using the D4 and a split charge system. Otherwise I would drain the starter battery. Had to make brackets for the battery and to move it 2 inches to outward to allow that D4 to fit. Otherwise, no problem. That is the usual place they put those Eberis here in sub-arctic Finland where every TD5 has to have those, for not being the warmest car... ;) I personally wouldn´t place it under the center seat, open to all elements even when not wading. Road salt, spraying water, mud, etc. although they do say in the installation guide that you can install it under the car.

Hi Pete,

Have you got any pictures of the installation that you would not mind posting? I have a few questions about how it has been done.

Is the outlet from the heater routed into the front footwell?

Where does the air inlet (air to be heated rather than the combustion air) get into the seat box in sufficient quantities?

Is is placed with the exhaust out of the bottom or out of the tunnel side?

Cheers

Martin