Injection pump

tazzman

Hi

I'm looking for a new (rebuild) injectionpump for my 200tdi motor.

The problem is i can not see any number identifying the pump. I know it's a Bosch VE pump.

Anybody here know if there are differences between disco and defender 200tdi pumps? Or in other words, are all injectionpump for 200tdi the same(when we talk about bosch pumps)

Br Tazzman

Defender 200tdi, engine code 11L, 107 HP

ERR1333 ... Bosch # 0 460 414 080 ... Bosch type VE4/11F1900R347-1 ... single stage advance box: 9 degrees advance

Discovery 200tdi - engine code 12L, 111 HP

ERR459 (ERR0459) .... Bosch # 0 460 414 069 ... Bosch type VE4/11F2000R347 - double stage advance box: 7 degrees advance with 3 degrees start retard

ERR459 (ERR0459) .... Bosch # 0 986 440 212 ... Bosch type same as above - this Bosch # is used for exchange units, discontinued 10/2005

ERR1985 - for the Austrian market Discovery ... Bosch # 0 460 414 093 ... VE4/11F2000R462 - discontinued 05/1995

The data should be written on the injection pump where the arrow points (the pictured inj pump is not for a 200tdi):

post-1725-125714553836_thumb.jpg

A close up of the rectangular area (on an ERR6700 Disco 300tdi EGR pump):

post-1725-125714563728_thumb.jpg

The main differences are already in my previous post, maybe not that obvious though:

1. the Defender pump max speed is 1900 rpm (this is the meaning of the '1900' in the Bosch type code). That's the inj pump rpm after which the fuel quantity starts to decrease (the governor preset rpm). That's why the max power on the Defender engine is at 3800 rpm (double the governed rpm of the inj pump) whereas the Discovery engine has 111 HP at 4000 rpm

2. the advance curves are different (that's clearly in my previous post).

Yes, they can be fitted in place of the other. I wouldn't call them interchangable since the engine output will be different. The pressure is the same, 650 atm IIRC

Cip,

thanks for the educational information. ;)

I'll be looking at the extra injector pump I have to see what it actually is. (I'm not totally certain that it came from the vehicle that it was claimed to)

Cip

I get the impression you are the injection pump expert around here. Maybe you can comment my problem.

I have a 200tdi with code 11L. I don't know the history of the engine and cannot see the number on the pump either. But my problem with the engine is: It's running a little rough on idle, and if you drive downhill with just a little throttle is knocking og ticking a little bit. It pulls well. The people i have been showing the problem to says that it sounds like a bad injector nozzle, so i replaced all nozzle tips. But no change.

So now i wonder if the previus owner of the engine could have been replacing the injectorpump with a pump from a 12L enginge, and if this could result in problem like i have??? Or is it likely that a worn or broken injectorpump (even the correct one) can make troubles like this.

• 1 month later...

when you say 9 degree advance.. am i to asume that the 9 degrees is for dot on the diaphram? or is it the injector pump angle?

or is it somthing els?

cheers

sam

The pump has a automatic timing advance mechanism. It run across the bottom of the pump (behind the 20bolt cover that you can see in the 1st pic above.

There is a vane pump at the front of the pump that pressurises the fuel proportional to pump speed. This pressure is used to alter/advance the timing.

Edit: because the pump is driven at half engine speed, the timing advance angle has to be doubled when added to the static timing value.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm wondering a thing. From the info from CIP I see the difference is the advance of the pump. 9 degree in 11L and 7 in 12L. But what is the difference between 11L and 12L engine then? I was told the cylinder head is the same and basically the rest is the same (except the position of the turbo)

But what is the reason for the difference in the pump then. I mean, is it the camshaft, cylinder etc? And what will happen if I fit a 12L FIP on my 11L engine?

Tazzman

But any idea what will happen if I fit a 12L FIP on my 11L engine?

Br Tazzman

And also, would we get that little bit more out of our defenders by fitting disco pumps? Do they produce power and torque to complement their respective gearing setups perhaps?

I would think that the pumps are basically the same but calibrated differently from the factory, thus needing a different identification number - a Bosch service shop relies on the ident number to find the calibration and other info when they service the equipment.

You can have the calibration changed on your existing pump for much less expense compared to buying another pump.

AFAIK there is not much difference in stock power/torque between the 2 versions, and most people would like rather more. Either pump can be calibrated for more power/torque than the best stock level.

• 7 years later...
  • 3 years later...

Thank's guys, i know its a very old thread but as regards 200tdi FIP's its something i've been trying to ask and keep getting told they are both the same for a defender and disco 200tdi but they both have different part numbers which has always made me think they arn't and you have answered my question.

I am currently running a series 2a swb which i have fitted a defender 200tdi from a defender 90 i used to own but the timing case was damaged when i got the 90 where the alt and power steer bracket bolted to so i re-dressed the engine as a discovery engine but using the defender FIP but the engine seems to run out of puff a bit to quick for me and will only do 70 mph even though i have 3.54 diffs fitted, now i used to have another series 2a swb 200tdi that was fitted with a discovery 200tdi with std gearing and o/d and that would do between 80-85.

I've always suspected the FIP on this one as when i did the re-dressing i replaced the timing belt as well which means the timing belt is longer on the discovery engine so must have some effect on the defender FIP.