TRE threads

flatback90

This topic has been discussed within the last month or 2. It is a Unified Special thread that I can remember for sure. It is 16TPI, and IIRC 5/8" dia BUT my vernier is at work and a rule just isnt good enough. I thought it was a /16th size.

RH taps are avaliable for not a massive amount of money, however LH taps are mega expensice and not worth the purchase unless you were going to be making A LOT of track rods....and as a professional machinist I would suggest they would be better screwcut anyway.

From memory 11/16 with 16tpi, I think it is a UNS thread.

Taps are available, right hand is reasonable, lefthand is *$£!* expensive.

If you are thinking of making your own steering bars, its easier to buy them unless you need a custom length for some reason.

From memory 11/16 with 16tpi, I think it is a UNS thread.

Taps are available, right hand is reasonable, lefthand is *$£!* expensive.

If you are thinking of making your own steering bars, its easier to buy them unless you need a custom length for some reason.

i was thinking of making my own as i have 3 6ft length's of 1"1/4 stainless rod lying around the shed and a mate that works in a machine shop. however he doesnt have the taps...... thats that idea out the window thanks for the replies.

This topic has been discussed within the last month or 2. It is a Unified Special thread that I can remember for sure. It is 16TPI, and IIRC 5/8" dia BUT my vernier is at work and a rule just isnt good enough. I thought it was a /16th size.

Hmmmmmm .............. exactly what information does the above give apart from the fact it might be UNS ? :(

and as a professional machinist I would suggest they would be better screwcut anyway.

Why ? ........... how are the OEM's made and are they not fit for purpose if they are machine tapped ? .............. are matching TRE threads also made this way or is a correctly set threading machine not good enough ? :rolleyes:

UNS is used as it was one of the strongest threads available when compared to other UN series threads .........tell me, would you use a commerically ground 60 degree tool or would you grind it up yourself to produce an agressive rake? ........ would you go for the full depth of 86.6% (root to crest height against pitch) or would you truncate it to 75%, 70%, 65%, or 60% ? How would you accurately measure your UNS internal theard to ensure that is up to the job and meets the AMSE/ANSI specifications ?

Do the TRE's have to have opposed threads - for safety reasons perhaps? If not, then same thread ends could be used and although it would be a lot harder to set the tracking, it would be a lot cheaper to make your own custom steering rods.

Les.

May be wrong, but isnt it just that way for ease of adjustment of the tracking? If they were the same thread, you would screw one in and the other out as you turned the track rod and would therefore have to take the TRE off to adjust the tracking. So you could have them the same, but tracking would be a little more awkward.

Edit - just read your post fully and you've already dais that anyway!oops!

as a professional machinist I would suggest they would be better screwcut anyway.

It is far better, accurate and more cost effective to tap internal threads,

Any professional engineer or machinist will know that a small internal diameter thread cut in a lathe above say 2 X Dia will cause chatter and the cost of sandvik type tooling is more expensive than a left and right hand tap will cost,

Stick to taps, better job that most can achieve on a home lathe,

Carl.

Hmmmmmm .............. exactly what information does the above give apart from the fact it might be UNS ? :(

Why ? ........... how are the OEM's made and are they not fit for purpose if they are machine tapped ? .............. are matching TRE threads also made this way or is a correctly set threading machine not good enough ? :rolleyes:

UNS is used as it was one of the strongest threads available when compared to other UN series threads .........tell me, would you use a commerically ground 60 degree tool or would you grind it up yourself to produce an agressive rake? ........ would you go for the full depth of 86.6% (root to crest height against pitch) or would you truncate it to 75%, 70%, 65%, or 60% ? How would you accurately measure your UNS internal theard to ensure that is up to the job and meets the AMSE/ANSI specifications ?

My God, thats sound enough for an anoraks convention presidental address :P

Quiet tho, innit ?

Nige