Help please! Weird sound.

Can someone please shed some light on identifying the cause of a sound which developed today.

Whilst going to the shops, all of a sudden I heard a soft "clonking" sound which seemed to emanate from the centre of the vehicle (Gear/Transfer box?)

It was as I was coming to a halt at some traffic lights. It did not do it again until the next time I started to decelerate.

It has got a bit worse (I have only gone round town & straight back home when the noise developed) and ONLY happens under deceleration. I have no problem changing gear or any problems accelerating - it feels 100% normal to me.

The sound being made is sort of like a crunchy, grating sound. It sounds a little bit like when brake pads have really worn out, but does not happen directly as a cause of braking - and braking is unaffected (anyway, it seems quite a bit louder than brakes.)

Suggestions please.

Martin

Can someone please shed some light on identifying the cause of a sound which developed today.

Whilst going to the shops, all of a sudden I heard a soft "clonking" sound which seemed to emanate from the centre of the vehicle (Gear/Transfer box?)

It was as I was coming to a halt at some traffic lights. It did not do it again until the next time I started to decelerate.

It has got a bit worse (I have only gone round town & straight back home when the noise developed) and ONLY happens under deceleration. I have no problem changing gear or any problems accelerating - it feels 100% normal to me.

The sound being made is sort of like a crunchy, grating sound. It sounds a little bit like when brake pads have really worn out, but does not happen directly as a cause of braking - and braking is unaffected (anyway, it seems quite a bit louder than brakes.)

Suggestions please.

Martin

When exactly does it happen? when lifting off the accelerator, braking, or letting the clutch up after changing down a gear?

Just letting up on the accelerator.

It starts before I get on the brakes & if I am not changing gears or using the clutch.

So it makes the noise on the over-run. Sadly that doesn't narrow it down as much as the other choices, but first suspect has to be the gearbox end. After that its possibly propshaft UJs, differentials (unlikely) and then CV joints. I'd start with checking the gearboxes' oil levels, and checking for play in the propshaft ends. Does it do it when in reverse, by the way?

Strange that, mine makes an odd noise too, similar to what you describe, but only on the over-run and only as the speed passes between 38 - 36 mph. I am wondering if there is something wrong with the rear prop shaft UJ's, I've greased them and cant find any play to speak of.

Does yours do it at a specific speed?

hi

i would have thought having a look inside the handbrake drum just in case something has come adrift, at least its cheap to fix before major surgery is considered. Gives you a good chance to look at the props and output bearings as well whilst you're there.

Matt

hi

i would have thought having a look inside the handbrake drum just in case something has come adrift, at least its cheap to fix before major surgery is considered. Gives you a good chance to look at the props and output bearings as well whilst you're there.

Matt

I agree. Mine was doing exactly this clonk clonk clonk as you coast to a halt. My handbrake cable then snapped and it prompted me to change that and at the same time overhaul the handbrake. The adjusters and actuator were all clogged up with dust and lack of grease. Took everything apart, serviced the lot and put everything back together as per the manual making sure everything was properly adjusted. Firstly the handbrake has never felt so smooth! secondly the clunking had gone - i'm convinced the handbrake was binding on slightly and caught more at low speeds. If you cant locate a dodgy UJ, i think this would be my next stop.

I had to start another thread on this subject, after I had a breakdown this morning, whilst investigating the possible causes suggested here last night.

Turned out to be the diff pinion shaft that has sheared off.

Nice. Left with a nice bill for a new diff.

However, the members of this forum (and the Land Rover community in general) being as wonderful as they are, I have had several offers of help to rectify my problem quickly & cost effectively :)

Martin