Overland trailer

Barry,

People can ask for lots, it doesn't mean that's what it is worth, I saw the add but wasn't sure why you would need such a big wine rack? as there are no covers on it my guess would be opening the rear after a days off road would provide you with a sticky mess!!

The trailer looks well constructed, although adding 300kg of water and propane in front of the axle has got to make it very heavy on the nose weight!! I am not sure that it would be that useful as that is a big space to fill and everything you need would always be at the bottom!! Not sure why the Clarke mast is on the trailer either, TV signal has never been my priority!! And kind of takes away from the getting away from things

By the time you had built the trailer added the wheels, tent & awning, sink, hot water and other bits I bet it owes him close to £3.5k in materials alone so £7k really isn't that bad.

I continue to spend on mine, the cooker slide out is on my list to do now which I will guess will be another £200, but to answer your first question, I guess it's worth what someone would be willing to pay for it! What have I spent on it? Not including my time with the new cooker and electrical system It is getting close to £3k, If I looked at the time spent doing it I would guess it would be close to 200 hours (guess) so even if I picked a nominal rate of £10 per hour we would have £2k in labour plus a bit of profit we would be getting close to the 7k mark.

But as it's not for sale then it's a moot point, insurance wise I have it covered for 6K which includes the contents, fridge etc.

Jason.

I think your trailer is a credit to you and is far better thought out than the one on ebay, especially as you have field tested yours and are changing the parts that don't work as envisaged. Although it has taken approximately 200 hours of build time I'm certain that if you were to create a replica it would be quicker.

I know actual value is a moot point but it is a good measure of what you have achieved :) and if someone does pay the asking price for the one on ebay then I'd say it's a good indication that your is worth the same or more. Anyway all that aside you have a brilliant trailer :)

Cheers Barry,

Very kind words, I almost started to make version 2 but decided against it, and will stick this version and just fix/improve the bits that need it. I need to fix the cooker as since changing the unit the slide out does not work well so am having it made out of metal.

I need to add a changing area to the side and think I have sorted out how to do this, I guess I just need to spend a couple of hours in front of the sewing machine and some time making a frame for it.

Regards, Jason.

looking at the eBay trailer again my comments are:

I am guessing it wouldn't have spent much time off road, if it had they would have moved that number plate and the light by now!!! as they wouldn't have survived a long trip off road.

The trailer looks like it is built on a modified MK1 sankey (judging by the hitch) so the track will not be as wide as a defender

The changing of the hitch to a 50mm ball will limit any serious off road ability but more than that I doubt if this trailer is actually legal as it has no connected brakes, my calculations would be:

MK1 trailer 150kg

Body 150kg

Water tank (full) 305kg

Roof tent 80kg

Spare Wheel 40kg

Propane Tanks x2 30kg

So before you have put any kit in it it would be very near if not over the 750kg limit for an unbraked trailer!!!

Jason.

According to the ad, it has got brakes Jason :),

If you look at the photo Ross you can see the hand brake rod but nothing on the hitch, so yes it has a braked axel but no actuated by the hitch although I would be happy to be wrong.

Jason

You've lost me with the 'nothing on the hitch' bit? This will bug me until we have worked out brakes or no brakes! ;)

OK Ross if it keeps you quiet it has lots of brakes all over!!

If using it on roads than a 50mm hitch is great and easily available, off you are going to use it off road you need a fully articulating hitch otherwise you could damage/twist your x-member loose the trailer or worse as a 50mm hitch will only go to about 35 degrees which sounds loads but is no if the truck is twisted one way and the trailer the other.

Jason

So.... As previously posted the altered kitchen unit was a big fail and caused difficulty when it got wet at the B&W show I was looking at making it out of wood again but then a famous change of mind will see it fabricated out of metal (material TBC) a drawing of the plans has now gone off for pricing so it should be ready in time for our Summer Trip. (or that's the plan!)

Jason.

kitchenunit.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

A big bright shape appeared in the sky today, unsure as to what it was but the warmth was nice on my back it was strange as there was no fluid falling from the sky either so I was a bit confused :blink:

Anyway the trailer was due it's annual service before heading away on this summers adventures so wheels off I started to attack every grease nipple and grease point with the grease gun removed the wheels and hub covers. The trailer has done around 8k miles in the last 12 months but the bearings were in good condition so I just cleaned out the grease and repacked the hubs.

wp000005j.jpg

By jasong4110 at 2012-07-21

I then went around the trailer checking all of the bolts and tightening where required, it was surprising that a couple of bolts were loose so sorted them out and stuck a bit of lock tight on the threads should see them good for another year.

The final task was to remove the brake callipers and check the pads, I knew they would probably need changing after the incident at L2B involving me leaving the hand brake on!!! Although I wasn't expecting that they would have broken down, and been worn down as much as they were.

wp000002o.jpg

wp000003u.jpg

Not the end of the world, a new pair of pads is only £8 so I have ordered two sets as I think I should keep a spare set in the trailer if it happens again.

Cheers, Jason.

It's funny sometimes what's just around the corner, physically round the corner in this case. I know there are a few Defender owners in the village where I live, there is a pair of them I walk past on my walk to church. This morning parked outside the one of these houses was an interesting looking Sankey conversion, not being sure how long it would be there I snapped a couple of photos on the way past.

wp000006m.jpg

By jasong4110 at 2012-07-22

wp000007u.jpg

On the way back, the owner was fettling his truck so I went and introduced myself, turns out the chaps name is Jerry, he has had the trailer for a couple of years now and after trying several combinations had a cage built for the top which sits on the rim of the trailer, the top of the cage is fitted with some 1 inch ply and the roof tent fitted to this, he had a canvas made for the cage and some very smart tail gate struts and series chains give him a watertight trailer.

He has put a spare inside mounted on a rear door carrier which is welded to the cage and a smart shower set up which slots into the front of the trailer, the cage is very secure and weighs around 120kgs.

wp000008k.jpg

wp000009v.jpg

All in all a very nice sankey conversion.

Jason.

That Sankey was in the same garage that changed my engine. Very small world sometimes!

Where was that Ben? I guess you are not that far away from here.

Jason.

So the replacement brake pads turned up today, there is a fair bit of difference between the two!!! Oh well just got to fit them now, put the wheels back on and that's the trailer serviced.

wp000024w.jpg

By jasong4110 at 2012-07-23

I also picked up the new cooker unit today, the unit is spot on, lighter than the previous unit of far better quality than my ply built unit!! And the best news is my measurements are correct and it fits like a well fitting glove.

wp000028z.jpg

wp000026q.jpg

I have removed the cooker hob from the previous unit just to offer it up, as the last unit was not straight neither is this, I will get some more ply and remake the top and also a box for the grill, The reason for the ply is to give a barrier between the hot hob and the Ali box as hot metal and small children don't always go!! I know it sounds daft building a wooden box and then lining it with metal but again this will give a heat barrier.

wp000035l.jpg

wp000030u.jpg

wp000037um.jpg

Anyway I am impressed with it, just need to get the wood and connect the plumbing and that will be the cooker ticked off!!

Jason.

Thanks Ross,

I think once finished it will be good, I am using the old method of it being a snug fit although slightly less of a snug fit width wise (5mm) than before, which was planned. I also decided I didn't need the lip around the cooker as this is provided by the door so it will make it easier cleaning wise.

Jason.