Overland trailer

Looks great, glad it all worked out.

Now onto the Series 1??

Soon, I am going to actually finish this project first 100% first then have to sort out the back garden and some stuff around the house so Series 1 will be this years winter project (again!!)

Reminds me a bit of Richard Hammond's creation on Top Gear, but the difference is this one works, and I am very impressed with it, well done!

If you ever decided to sell (unlikely I reckon) then I'd be first in line.

:wub:

Its like a hotel !

Cheers (I Think!!) I think that just because you are in the back of beyond does not mean you need to slum it, One of the aims was to try and encourage Mrs S to join in to do that I needed to add some of the home comforts that she is used too!! By making it comfortably it also takes a lot of stress out of over-landing and allows you to cover more ground as you are not having to face not being able to relax at the end of a day have a good nights sleep and then enjoy the next day. I know I can do that in my 110 but to take the family it would be a bit of a stretch, I didn't build it to stack it to the gunnel's and as I say know I could have gone wider/higher but build it to supply what I my family need to go enjoy themselves also.

I know it is not everyone's 'cup of tea' I used to be into ultralight camping which is fine when you are on your own but with kids/SWMBO in toe things need to change a bit, although there is nothing in the trailer that does not serve at least on function so I have not loaded it with lots of rubbish and once in a blue moon bits.

Jason

Reminds me a bit of Richard Hammond's creation on Top Gear, but the difference is this one works, and I am very impressed with it, well done!

If you ever decided to sell (unlikely I reckon) then I'd be first in line.

:wub:

Thanks Bowie, I did see the Richard Hammond contraption when I was building this and often thought about slide outs etc, as for selling it you never know I have a second chassis sitting in the garden at the moment and even now was thinking of ways of improving it and answering the 'what would I do differently' type questions although I have a dozen other projects in the pipeline first!!

Cheers, Jason.

• 2 weeks later...

So Just taken the trailer away for the week and worked very well, very well indeed we went to a great camp-site on the Dorset coast again not the ends of the earth but enough to give the trailer a good test and work out all of the bugs. I felt quite proud actually as we seemed to be the talk of the camp-site, it was quiet funny the amount of people that came up and asked for a look around and when I visited the wash block hearing people talk about it. a couple of people actually offered to buy the trailer from me one for £7.5k!! how serious he was I don't know but I pointed them towards LR4x4 and told them they should make their own, a decision I am sure I will regret later but I am enjoying the time with my family which was the whole point of this project.

The awning worked really well and gave the shade that we needed from the hot weather we used the Land Rover awning as a dressing room/shelter from the wind when we were eating on the first couple of days, although the sides for the trailer awning have now arrived so will need testing. I also want to add a box to the back roof of the trailer for lightweight storage but need to resist overloading it. The thing that worked the best was the folding oven I found on ebay as it was black and red I thought it was made for the trailer and it was, we made pizza one night for the kids and took part baked bread which worked out really well giving us fresh bread without any spoiling issues so will form part of the overland packing.

Things that need addressing:

Freezer

I have a small 20ltr Land Rover badged Waeco fridge/freezer it seems to be on all of the time and pulling lots of juice clearly this is not a problem on hook up but would be on battery so it will need changing and can go in the Landy to keep the drinks cold during the day.

Sink/Cooker

I have not been happy with this from day one the hob unit although we have stripped and cleaned is not great and although not putting soot over the pans now is still not great so this will need replacing, the good news as this was a caravan type sink there are lots out there so watching a few on ebay so hopefully will find an exact replacement soon.

Microwave

The Microwave started smoking where the HV goes through the casing the connection bolt was getting hot looking at the bolt the connection was not great as had become tarnished this is an easy repair so will be sorted out over the next week.

That's about it so not bad, the brakes are working very well as shown by the brake dust on the wheels the trailer tows very well I still have to figure out the shower as have not tested this yet but not sure it will work as I want I also want to add an extra cold outlet but not sure how I am going to do this yet.

Oh make sure you check out Wills Build Thread as he seems to have some great ideas so far, I have some improvements to make over the next couple of weeks so will update when I do.

Jason.

post-15513-0-60244700-1307291220_thumb.jpg

post-15513-0-38962800-1307291243_thumb.jpg

post-15513-0-24075800-1307291629_thumb.jpg

can i ask which awning and sides you have ?

TA

The awning on the trailer is a Front Runner feather-lite awning I brought it off the web from a place US Linky as delivered to a friends house and then to the UK with taxes was half the price of one brought in the UK

The awning on the Land Rover is a Hannibal one.

Jason.

It was the one on the Land Rover and the sides i was interested in. How do they attach?

The sides attach to the awning rails by clips and Velcro the front panel slides into the front 'awning rail' and then zips to the sides it didn't come with a back so I brought some canvas and made one which seals the whole thing and we can even put a bedroom compartment up in there before we had finished the trailer, it's actually really good the windows are screens, it makes a really good addition to the Landy takes about 10 minutes to set up. It works really well and was a great £80.00 ebay find!!

Jason.

• 2 weeks later...

Jason - what did you do with the trailer awning at the trailer end. I've been studying the pictures but cant see enough detail especially the centre/ridge pole. Did you shorten it to sit on the trailer box? Will.

Jason - what did you do with the trailer awning at the trailer end. I've been studying the pictures but cant see enough detail especially the centre/ridge pole. Did you shorten it to sit on the trailer box? Will.

Will

The awning is the front runner feather lite it comes in a bag with the canvas rolled/stitched into it the poles are also stored in it if you look at post 195 there are some photos of the bag etc the bag has 3 straps and d hoops on it so I have put 3 d rings onto the bottom of the roof tent which is the ideal height when I stop I can then just attach the awning and put it out there is no ridge pole but the canvas is supported with 5 poles (1 each corner and the centre pole) with the bag making up the other pole however it does come with a 6th pole so can be used as a free standing shelter.

Jason.

Hi Jason, firstly fantastic write up and inspirational build.

On page 10 reply 183 you posted a pic of the spare trailer you bought. In the trailer are a couple of 'things' about 6 - 8 inches long each one has a but of round tube at each end with a rectangular section between them.

Any idea what these are?

Cheers

Chris

Hi Jason, firstly fantastic write up and inspirational build.

On page 10 reply 183 you posted a pic of the spare trailer you bought. In the trailer are a couple of 'things' about 6 - 8 inches long each one has a but of round tube at each end with a rectangular section between them.

Any idea what these are?

Cheers

Chris

Thanks Chris,

Got there in the end!! I have no idea what they are!!! a few bits I have brought from Withams over the years come with 'extra bits'. They are not from a standard widetrack, they are about to go in the scrap pile if you have a use for them

Jason.

So I sold the Chassis and the axle from the donor trailer which almost marks the end of this project, it was really funny I sold it through ebay and the chap (Paul Blake not sure of his forum name) turned up to collect it, I opened the door and the first thing he said was "are you jasonG4110" which is strange as that is normally only my weekend/internet name!! This was before he had even introduce himself!!

Anyway it appears that after an internet search he had found this thread and was buying the Chassis so that he could build a trailer smiler to mine!! we spent some time talking about the trailer so at least the chassis went to a good home.

The intention of the donor trailer was never to make a fortune but to at least cover the expense and get the bits I need tonight this was achieved and just goes to show that they are worth their weight in parts!! with the added benefit that I have also met some great people who have brought the bits and lots of people who are doing similar things, I got a lot of my ideas from the web so am happy that I have maybe helped others doing the same thing.

Jason.

Just a quick note to say, yes it has gone to a good home, well almost, not quite got it home yet as I never told her indoors I was buying it in the first place, lol, so it's currently being stored at dads work :D I will break the news to her gently as she is being serenaded be Jon Bon Jovi this weekend so hopefully she won't mind too much that I will be spending even more time in the garage on the new trailer. I did pop over to Reading o the way home to show my cousin who does metal fabrication as his job to show him what his winter project will also be. He was coming up with some good ideas to start with so hopefully when I show him the photos how yours turned out he will have even more!

I'll try to keep a log of how things are going and hopefully it will be as popular as this tread! Thanks for everything Jason and I can assure you I will be in touch for some advice pretty soon!!

All the best and bye for now, Paul aka Blakey Boi.

Jason,

What does it tow like then?

Why not bring it to Slab next month when Shires have it booked, you could try it off road.

TJ

Hi TJ,

It is one of the best trailers I have ever towed, it just sits there at any speed from motorway to rough ground, I have done a few lanes with it and the only problem was the brakes were a little too good, locking up the trailer on slow down hill bits, however when the brake was isolated (no auto reverse) all was good. The best bonus was in the design by not making the trailer top full width, I get a great view behind me as it's just like towing a normal Sankey so reversing is really easy.

I really do need to test it 'in anger' before we take it away so Slab may be an option, I wish I could have made it to sisters but family commitments prevented that it looks like you had a great time.

I guess on another note I need to join, so if I can make it I will be allowed to come along!! is this you recruitment drive!!

Jason.

Jason....found this while trolling for LED's

http://www.trailerte...led_lights.html

The smart load device might resolve your trailer indicator tell-tale problem.

Will

Thanks will, Sorry I forgot to post that I had sorted the LED issue I got these ebay linky a bit less than the ones you found, I didn't use the scoch locks they sent with them but soldered them into the loom they are spot on so problem solved.

Jason.

Just a quick note to say, yes it has gone to a good home, well almost, not quite got it home yet as I never told her indoors I was buying it in the first place, lol, so it's currently being stored at dads work :D I will break the news to her gently as she is being serenaded be Jon Bon Jovi this weekend so hopefully she won't mind too much that I will be spending even more time in the garage on the new trailer. I did pop over to Reading o the way home to show my cousin who does metal fabrication as his job to show him what his winter project will also be. He was coming up with some good ideas to start with so hopefully when I show him the photos how yours turned out he will have even more!

I'll try to keep a log of how things are going and hopefully it will be as popular as this tread! Thanks for everything Jason and I can assure you I will be in touch for some advice pretty soon!!

All the best and bye for now, Paul aka Blakey Boi.

Well I did do a search for your name Paul but was never going to find Blakey Boi !!! if your cousin wants to pop up and take a look let him know its not a problem, you never know I may need some bits done just drop me a PM or give me a call!!

Good luck with your project, I would advise posting lots of pictures and asking for lots of advice there is a great bunch of people on here, that will give you advice when you hit the wall or want a second opinion from people who have not just got the T-shirt, but actually fabricated the T-shirt and the printing frame in the first place.

Personally I could have not completed my project if it had not been for the help of the kind folks on this forum not just the ones who reply to the thread but the ones who send you a PM to ask a question or point out your stupidity in private as not to shame you in public and the ones who cheer you up when you land in the project doldrums.

Cheers, Jason

Well I did do a search for your name Paul but was never going to find Blakey Boi !!! if your cousin wants to pop up and take a look let him know its not a problem, you never know I may need some bits done just drop me a PM or give me a call!!

Good luck with your project, I would advise posting lots of pictures and asking for lots of advice there is a great bunch of people on here, that will give you advice when you hit the wall or want a second opinion from people who have not just got the T-shirt, but actually fabricated the T-shirt and the printing frame in the first place.

Personally I could have not completed my project if it had not been for the help of the kind folks on this forum not just the ones who reply to the thread but the ones who send you a PM to ask a question or point out your stupidity in private as not to shame you in public and the ones who cheer you up when you land in the project doldrums.

Cheers, Jason

Thanks Jason I most certainly will be asking for advice, so I hope everyone will be patent with me. :lol: I'm glad that everyone is friendly and willing to give advice where needed, I'm sure that'll help a lot.

My cousin only lives at Goring Heath so if I could bring him up one day when i get the project underway properly, that'll be very much appreciated.

I have the name Blakey Boi as I'm on a couple of other forums as is my younger brother (who drives a 300Tdi Discovery) so it was a way of telling us apart, I suppose we could have used our first names but, well where's the fun in that!

Speak to you soon, I'm sure, Paul

• 2 weeks later...

Just spotted this with a little bit of work it could be a very good trailer Linky

I would change the chassis for a MK3 Chassis, but you wouldn't need to seems like a bit of a bargain price!

Jason.