speaker replacement

Hi

Looking for a replacement front speaker for a defender 97 , front left set in the dash.

I have been to Halfrods and cant find a speaker that will fit , the new types are to deep and would not fit. has any one replaced with none genuine ones?? where from??

Thanks

You need a spacer ring to go on the left hand one, then the Halfords pioneer speakers etc. will fit no trouble. These spacers are normally available on e-bay.

Or make them out of 1" MDF like I did, simple job to do!

Thats exactly what i did - all you need is a small bit of MDF and a jigsaw. The 4 inch sony, pioneer or kenwood ones then fit a treat. The drivers side is fine, you just need the spacers for the left side (silly place for a wiper motor!)

Its not so silly if you consider that placing the speakers in a box will produce a more resonant sound and better bass. There's no way to do this if placing in the headliner. I'm also not sure about having the speaker so close to my ear!

Thats exactly what i did - all you need is a small bit of MDF and a jigsaw. The 4 inch sony, pioneer or kenwood ones then fit a treat. The drivers side is fine, you just need the spacers for the left side (silly place for a wiper motor!)

Yeah but for the more discerning owner do both! It looks much neater. :P

I agree its probably not the best place for the speakers but at least you can still put a sub with an amp behind you (or mounted on the rear door like i did)

Yeah but for the more discerning owner do both! It looks much neater. :P

I'd knock my knee on it everytime i got out then :angry: Perhaps thats cos i put RRC seats in the front of the 110...

If you cover the mdf with black insulation tape, it virtually matches the interior trim then.

I'd knock my knee on it everytime i got out then :angry: Perhaps thats cos i put RRC seats in the front of the 110...

If you cover the mdf with black insulation tape, it virtually matches the interior trim then.

Im ok cos Im a short-ass!

Just painted mine black and actually surprised myself cos they do look good.

Stupid place for a speaker anyway, what's the point in pointing a set of speakers at the floor in a noisy land rover? Yeah you can fit spacers and make a set fit, but you are better off just ditching the idea and relocating the speakers like this:

speakers2.jpg

built my own speaker housings out of 9 & 12mm marine grade ply and wired a twin set of speakers up in each much better quality sound!