Foreign object in fuel tank

Speedy_Gonzales

Was filling up the old girl from a jerry can today and the plastic nozzle on the end of the filler fell into the tank.

Will this cause any issues?

Its a TD5 so its got the high pressure pump built into the tank.

I do have to cut a hole in the tub of the 110 to plumb my eberspacher in at some point soon, so is this something I can deal with then?

Also, if I was to do this, do I need a special tool to remove the fuel pump from the tank?

Thanks

Jamie

4566.jpg

it's to big to clog the fuel pickup pipe, you could try fishing for it with a good long bit of fencing wire with a hook formed on the end, if your lucky it'll catch & should be able to drag it back up the fill pipe or take the fill hose off betwen the cap & tank & work through the stub on the tank side, if that doesn't work, you'll have to lift the pump assembly out.

it's to big to clog the fuel pickup pipe, you could try fishing for it with a good long bit of fencing wire with a hook formed on the end, if your lucky it'll catch & should be able to drag it back up the fill pipe or take the fill hose off betwen the cap & tank & work through the stub on the tank side, if that doesn't work, you'll have to lift the pump assembly out.

Thanks as ever Western, I was thinking along the same lines :)

Take its theres no risk of plastic degredation in the tank?

It is a plastic tank!

...in any event it is a fuel nozzle so will be fuel-safe.

In order to remove the fuel pump you will need a big screwdriver and a hammer, use the two together to drift round (normal RH thread) the plastic screw ring round the top of the fuel pump. Look out for the rubber seal, make sure not to loose/damage it. There are instructions in the Defender forum (and perhaps in the tech archive?) where to cut the hole in the floor as I had to do it and a former member kindly did the measuring for me.

Chris

Was filling up the old girl from a jerry can today and the plastic nozzle on the end of the filler fell into the tank.

Will this cause any issues?

I lost one of those into my 200tdi Disco about 7 years ago. Either it's still there, or it dissolved. Either way, it never caused any issues.

Thanks as ever Western, I was thinking along the same lines :)

as others have said the nozzle will be 'fuelsafe' plastic so no dissolving in diesel, I'd drop the tank & get it out to be 1000% sure.