Huuuuge oil leak! Help!

Guppy

Hi guys! I need your sage advice yet again!

I moved house last week to what I thought was a lovely village just north of Oxford. On Saturday morning - first weekend in the new place - I was eager to explore the local area. Hopped into my truck and fired her up, and that was about as far as I got. She would idle, and that was it. Any accelerator pressure caused the engine to splutter and stall. Damn.

A brief diagnostic later and it appears the Lift Pump is the culprit. Luckily I have a spare so a quick job to swap them over...or so I thought.

Took the pump out and inspected it - it was FULL of sugar! As were the fuel lines. Some swine had contaminated my tank! Lovely people.

Cue spending the next 3 hours draining and flushing the fuel system with hot water. Now she runs and is drivable but she's not quite the same.

Anyhoo - the reason for my wailing is that now I seem to have a WHOPPING great oil leak, emanating (i think!)from somewhere near the oil filter/breather area. It's hard to be sure as everything on that side of the engine is now covered in oily goop (thanks to a lot of the drips landing on the rotating prop).

I'd just like some suggestions on anything I may have missed? Could I have buggered something when trying to rev a strangled engine? Or could it be so simple as I've bashed the filter with a spanner and broken the seal?

It doesn't leak when engine off.

Top of the engine seems clean.

No leaks from the new lift pump.

Interestingly - dipstick is reading almost empty, but putting 3 litres of fresh oil inside (and waiting several minutes) made no difference to the level?

Any suggestions would be welcome!! No matter how patronising or simple!! I'm becoming increasingly fed up at how fixing one problem leads to another!!

Thanks in advance and sorry for the rant,

Guppy.

Guest wunntenn

Simple things first - did you remove the old rubber gasket if you changed the old filter? Two rubbers together wont leak until under pressure and then it all squirts out. Dont ask how I know this.

first thing to do is get some degreaser down there & jet wash it off, this will make it easier to see where the leak is coming from.

as for the lack of oil in the sump, that seems very strange - they hold about 6-7 litres in total, and there is only usually a litre or so between min and max levels. might be worth draining the oil and changing the filter as a precaution. what was the level like when you last checked it?

I had some PERSON never found out who put three bars of soap in my old S3 DERV, and no it wasn't the cleanest shed ever been.

My 300tdi D90 had a sudden oil leak from the oil cooler pipes and I would agree with Disco_al and wash it off firs then watch with the engine running.

From experience, I'd start looking at the joints on the oil cooler hoses where the rubber flexi bit meets the solid pipe. They're only crimped on and have a habbit of leaking quite a lot and quite suddenly. Also fits with only leaking when the engine is running.

Locking fuel cap will be next thing on the shopping list then!

Cheers for all the responses guys!

I have traced the fault - when replacing the lift pump I almost sheared the bolt nearest to the bulkhead, when the engine started the force of the cam against the lever in the pump popped the head off the bolt and consequently oil was p*ssing out through the gasket.

It looks like a really tricky spot to get a drill into (without removing the engine or drivers wing!) so in the meantime i've fashioned a sort of bracket using another nearby bolt that is usuing a metal bar to press the loose side of the pump against the block. It's still leaking but only mere drip now, and will hold until I can think of a permanent solution!

Cheers!

I have traced the fault - when replacing the lift pump I almost sheared the bolt nearest to the bulkhead, when the engine started the force of the cam against the lever in the pump popped the head off the bolt and consequently oil was p*ssing out through the gasket.

It looks like a really tricky spot to get a drill into (without removing the engine or drivers wing!) so in the meantime i've fashioned a sort of bracket using another nearby bolt that is usuing a metal bar to press the loose side of the pump against the block. It's still leaking but only mere drip now, and will hold until I can think of a permanent solution!

Cheers!

have you tryed to get the bolt out yet? sometimes with no pressure on them they just undo with a sharp flat headed screw driver. you can also get a drill bitt for removing wood screws with no head that way you may not need to drill it out

Cheers!

take the other bolt/lift pump & gasket block off & you should be able to grip the broken bolt with molegrips or similar

Aha! I see now!

I thought it was bolted directly to the block! So much gunk in the way I couldn't see the subplate!

Right then, i'll whip it all out and will be able to get the buggered bolt out of the subplate on the bench.

As usual, spot on advice fellas! Will have a crack tonight and let you know!

(Happy)Guppy :lol:

lift pump to subplate bolts are 2 x SS108301L & a spring washer under ecah bolt head 2 x WA108051L

Plate to block gasket is ERR3605 or heat/oil resistant sealant would do the job.

Thanks Western. Sometimes I wonder if you use Microcat at all, i think you've memorised each and every part number!

Interestingly, looks like someone's bodged it in the past - none of the plate bolts have washers and there is no gasket either!

I've at least managed to get the busted thread out - so just a case of reassembly now!