Grinding noise (loud) in 90

Hi,

After a long journey on the motorway today I have a very loud, a very disconcerting and in fact very worrying sound coming from my 90.

When I let off the gas, depress the clutch to change gear the noise, from what sounds like the gear box is horrendous. There is something that can also only be thumbing at low speeds, that seems to speed up as you go faster. i.e something rotating starts thumping as I pick up speed.

The noise is so bad that I left the landie on the drive and don't see me moving it now until I can work out what it is.

With the minimum of technical knowledge that I have I was hoping that you could give me some clues.....

Any thoughts ?

Nick

Hi,

After a long journey on the motorway today I have a very loud, a very disconcerting and in fact very worrying sound coming from my 90.

When I let off the gas, depress the clutch to change gear the noise, from what sounds like the gear box is horrendous. There is something that can also only be thumbing at low speeds, that seems to speed up as you go faster. i.e something rotating starts thumping as I pick up speed.

The noise is so bad that I left the landie on the drive and don't see me moving it now until I can work out what it is.

With the minimum of technical knowledge that I have I was hoping that you could give me some clues.....

Any thoughts ?

Nick

Hi Nick,

The first thing I'd check is that your prop shaft UJ's are not seized/worn. Also check the handbrake is not grabbing, this can occur if the cable seizes.

HTH.

Mark.

I had a very similiar problem just last week. Mine only occured when I let up on the throttle, and had nothing to do with gear changes/clutch/braking.

Turned out to be the rear diff has gone :(

However, after discussing this issue with my garage the next day, he did say (as did most of the people on the forum :)) that these things are usually propshaft UJ's, which would be a lot cheaper to get sorted.

Thanks for all the advice chaps. To answer some questions;

- No to off roading very recently (about a month ago and quite heavy going)

- No noise one the clutch is depressed (as if disengaging drive stops the noise)

- My original thought was rear diff, but no idea why. The sound does sound rotational and as if gears are grinding (but I don't know whats in a diff anyway lol)

- Handbrake checked out ok

So more new questions.....

1) How to I check to see if the prop shaft / UJ are worn....I am assuming there is excessive movement, but I have no idea how to check. The truck has been lifted and reading through the forums seems to suggest that this is a potential cause (or am I reading these wrong?)

2) If the prop shaft / UJ is seized would the the truck still move? It didn't feel like there was anymore "resistance" just the horrendous grating noise.

Nick

hi

to answer your questions

to check the UJ joints block the front wheels and release the hand brake, then under the truck get hold of both sides of the joint and try to twist and move them, your trying to look and feel for any movement between the two halves, any movement requires a replacement UJ.

the other joint is the sliding one between the two halves of the prop shaft testing is similar just grab the two halves and try and feel for any free play between them, an excessive amount requires a new prop.

A lift will put increased stress on the UJs and shorten their lifespan, a seized uj will fairly quickly disintegrate and you end up with lots of freeplay. i think youve probably got a more serious problem than ujs though i hope not.

I don't think your far off with the rear diff, one or both of your pinion shaft bearings may have collapsed and when your on the over run it is forcing the pinion out of mesh with the crown wheel. It will show up as lots of play on the shaft going into the diff and if you drain the oil there will be lots of metal bits in there.

If you update your profile with a location someone may be able to pop by and offer some advise.

HTH

Matt

I had a very similiar problem just last week. Mine only occured when I let up on the throttle, and had nothing to do with gear changes/clutch/braking.

However, after discussing this issue with my garage the next day, he did say (as did most of the people on the forum :)) that these things are usually propshaft UJ's, which would be a lot cheaper to get sorted.

Really? I would have thought with all the upgraded rover diffs out there someone like D44 would have stacks of stock open diffs lying around while propshafts are usually rebuilt if they go.

• 9 months later...

I had this. Sounded awful. Planet gears in a bad way, and pinion bearings very rough and notchy.

Yep, buy a heavy duty diff pan and you can junk the clamp on diff guard which will only fall off anyways :)

Second hand diff and away you go :)

Any idea on the pitfalls of purchasing the right diff. Not worried about doing the mechanical work, but don't want to buy the wrong parts. eBay seems a bit random as no part numbers isted.

Any guidance appreciated. Cheers.