Not completely OT. Van breakdown insurance.

roguevogue

I have a 3500kg van which is long enough to carry my car, i'm having trouble finding an affordable breakdown/recovery company that will cover a van as long as mine (over 5.5m).

Any suggestions?

worth checking with your insurance as it may be included with your policy or an option, i have found this a few times with commercial insurance ive had on LWB Transits etc...

also i think the AA/RAC only charge a small amount more to cover vans on top of there normal policy's

worth checking with your insurance as it may be included with your policy or an option, i have found this a few times with commercial insurance ive had on LWB Transits etc...

also i think the AA/RAC only charge a small amount more to cover vans on top of there normal policy's

Thanks for that, I will ask AA tomorrow, Green Flag and RAC both limit to 5.5m

Thanks for that, I will ask AA tomorrow, Green Flag and RAC both limit to 5.5m

I added breakdown cover with the NFU on top of my insurance. Cost me about £35 extra. Covered my lwb van, defender 150 with trailer attached. They never asked the length but the 150 was over 5.5m's. Had several breakdowns, all with full loaded and full trailers. Never any problem. Not sure if they will cover you if they are not doing your insurance but worth an ask. They also do my 6.5 tonner but that costs me about £200.

Mac

Just a foot note to let you know that I spoke to the AA. The standard cover will recover a 3.5 ton van as long as it is less than 2.3m wide, there appears to be no limit on length.

Result really as my wife and I have joint membership to AA already.

there appears to be no limit on length.

Result really as my wife and I have joint membership to AA already.

I once had a bit of fording 'difficulty' in a Sprinter van in Leicester. A Landrover came by and towed me out of the ford, then, since I was living in Sussex at the time, I called the AA (my own cover) who came out and towed me out of the UCR to a local carpark and sent for a lorry. When the lorry arrived the driver measured the van, pronounced it more than 16 feet long and apologised profusely that he would not be able to recover me due to AA policy. An expensive private arrangement was entered into by the company who the van belonged to, my employer. If you plan to rely on The AA, I suggest getting it in writing.

Since I know your van a little, do The AA have trucks long enough, with a shallow enough ramp angle to take your van? If not they will likely decline service on those grounds and/or offer to charge you for a truck large enough.

Chris

From this document http://www.theaa.com/breakdown-cover/pdfs/uk-breakdown-cover-policy-feb-2009.pdf Page 8

Vehicle specifications

Breakdown assistance is only available for cars, vans, minibuses or motorcycles which meet the specifications set out below.

Please note that “car, van, minibus or motorcycle” does not include, amongst other things, electric pavement vehicles, electrical wheelchairs, bicycles (including electric bicycles), any vehicle which cannot lawfully be used on the public highway and/or any non-motorised vehicle.

Maximum Vehicle Weight: 3.5 tonnes (3,500kg) gross vehicle weight

Maximum Vehicle Width: 7ft 6in (2.3m)

Assistance will also be provided for a caravan or trailer which was on tow at the time of the breakdown, provided that it falls within the above limits.

no mention of vehicle overall length.

From this document http://www.theaa.com/breakdown-cover/pdfs/uk-breakdown-cover-policy-feb-2009.pdf Page 8

Vehicle specifications

Breakdown assistance is only available for cars, vans, minibuses or motorcycles which meet the specifications set out below.

Please note that “car, van, minibus or motorcycle” does not include, amongst other things, electric pavement vehicles, electrical wheelchairs, bicycles (including electric bicycles), any vehicle which cannot lawfully be used on the public highway and/or any non-motorised vehicle.

Maximum Vehicle Weight: 3.5 tonnes (3,500kg) gross vehicle weight

Maximum Vehicle Width: 7ft 6in (2.3m)

Assistance will also be provided for a caravan or trailer which was on tow at the time of the breakdown, provided that it falls within the above limits.

no mention of vehicle overall length.

I was as sceptical as anyone but this is what the girl on the phone told me.