Black Gloss Paint.

Unsworth

Hi all,

I currently have a like new MILD STEEL (Not galvanized) Chassis which has been shot blasted and primed with zinc oxide primer to the eye balls!. I painted the back half of the chassis with that glossy bitumen black paint but I wondered what is the best black gloss paint to use on my chassis and axles? Everything will be primed thoroughly with zinc oxide primer so I am simply looking for a long lasting black glossy finish which mud wont want to stick to and can easily be jetwashed down.

I would have thought hammerite but since a couple of years ago, Hammerite is not what it used to be so I am unsure whether to use this?.

All sugestions welcome..

Thanks.. Matt

The thing with galvanizing is that it'd require taking it off the road for a bit and completely stripping it, and yeah, the price i suppose.

Alright Joe, You need to check your Facebook ;)

Only reason I am going against galvanizing is the cost!. The chassis in question is for a series land rover and the chassis is bare except from the back end being painted and the rear springs and rear axle fitted. I am planning on building up a series 3 from all the spares I have left over from other builds and motors I have owned!

Im going up to the local market tomorrow and I will see what paints my tool man has.

I was assuming you had it in bits ;)

Could the galvanising be a gift from santa? :P

Would you then IVA it after?

I'd sooner put as much spare funds into buying another 90 to be honest. Its only the fact that I have everything bar the electricals to build up another series.

It wont need an IVA as the chassis is going to be built up with its original ID and some other parts so its all legit. Just nearly every other part has been replaced with new or some in better condition such as panels, bulkhead, seats, dash, gearbox etc..

I get all my paint from Spencer Coatings, check out their web-site www.spencercoatings.co.uk Really helpfull and their stuff is good, we use it offshore. I use their recommended system for Steel (Extended Life)

Primer: Hi-dur Zinc Phosphate Primer

Intermediate: Standard MIO Primer

Topcoat: PU100 Finish

Wish I had started using it years ago instead of wasting money on Hammerite and POR-15, I might not be so good at welding if I had!

Oh, and the factory is very local to me :-)

AD90

I wondered what is the best black gloss paint to use on my chassis and axles?

I have been using with success boat bottom paint. The local marina has different paints for different waters off of Sweden, so I picked the one that was best for salt water. It's a 2-k paint that literally sticks to everything.....Nice gloss finish ;)

Todd.