V5 and chassis question

dirkthe1

I did try searching but it dosnt like the phrase v5 as its too short!

Im just trying to clarify is it possible to strip down a defender and sell the chassis WITHOUT the id and keep the v5-so in essence the vehicle would exist on paper only and could be rebuilt on a new or unused chassis at a later date?

I geuss if the chassis was sold and the new owner either used it on a purely offroad vehicle its not an issue, but if they put it on as a replacement (illegally) would the fall come back on me at all?

Cheers

Geoff

I did try searching but it dosnt like the phrase v5 as its too short!

Im just trying to clarify is it possible to strip down a defender and sell the chassis WITHOUT the id and keep the v5-so in essence the vehicle would exist on paper only and could be rebuilt on a new or unused chassis at a later date?

I geuss if the chassis was sold and the new owner either used it on a purely offroad vehicle its not an issue, but if they put it on as a replacement (illegally) would the fall come back on me at all?

Cheers

Geoff

to answer your question, YES you can keep your ID and re use it on a build if you wish. it's YOURS.

i wouldn't be concened with the future use as A, it's not yours anymore and B, you cannot be held responsible once sold.

Thanks-if the why exactly would the DVLA want proof of its destruction-only if its been destroyed?is there anything within the dvla guidelines that prevents me from selling the chassis without its id??

I dunno, but a friend of mine was told when re-chassis-ing a Series III that he needed to prove the old chassis had been destroyed when he notified them.

Maybe it varies from local office to local office, but they were happy with photos.

I dunno, but a friend of mine was told when re-chassis-ing a Series III that he needed to prove the old chassis had been destroyed when he notified them.

Maybe it varies from local office to local office, but they were happy with photos.

i will give them a ring then me thinks

In the kitcar scene proof of the scrapping of a donor vehicle is very important when you come to register.

It is therefore common practice to remove the VIN plate and cut out the chassis stamping so you can slap them both on the DVLA counter as proof.

In the case of a LR the chassis is the vehicle. If you sell it the vehicle is no longer yours regardless whether you hang onto the V5.

When I modified the my RRC chassis to build the Dakar DVLA allocated a new chassis number which I had to stamp into the chassis below the original number. I also had to stamp a line through the original but still leave it legible.

Steve

the answer to selling the chassis without its id is no not unless it is cut up. you can cut it up and sell the rear section as a repair section as you can with other sections too. but the chassis number belongs with this chassis, you cant give it to another one unless this one is destroyed. this is more so with monocoques, but the same rules apply for these as it is, in effect having two motors with the same id which cant happen.

i replaced 99% of a tr6 chassis once, and was allowed to keep the old id as it still had a xmember from the original chassis. but i would have had another number had it been a totally new one which is the case with yours too.

that is not to say all of your existing chassis, minus say the front rail could be a repair to someone elses chassis which they could fit the front rail from their's, thus keeping some of their cars identity which is legal.

it is grey, but if you do this then it is just like plating a damaged or rusty chassis, or replacing the rear section which is a very common repair to these chassis'.

richard

hmmm. i understand why it may have to be destroyed, it just seems a waste that a perfectly good chassis would have to be cut up for bits when it could happily be used (on a purely un registered vehicle).

I dont suppose it makes any difference that if it was rebuilt on a new chassis to original spec-i.e. not going down SVA route, as then it would just count as a chassis swap as opposed to a rebuild/build from scratch. please correct me if im wrong.

sounds like i may have to have a re think

well, spoke to the DVLA

they advised that the chassis could go on but with the V5 and then have to be registered as change of ownership, but only as mine would more then likely require an SVA?!

Now i have to ring VOSA as i am mighty confused

So......if the chassis is perfectly useable, why go through all this? If you are going that far through a rebuild, why not get your chassis cleaned up and painted/galvanised and just reuse it on your vehicle?? There may be a few repairs to do on the way, but this would be a whole load easier than what you are trying to do...

Am I looking at this too simplistically???

mainly due to space-i have no space to keep it currently and figured that a few bits stacked in corner is slightly easier then a whole 90. perhaps i am just being too sentimental/it may well turn out to be waaaaaay too much hassle in which case i will just sell it as is!

also i was going to sell a "few" bits off it however in hindsight if i sold too much it would need an sva anyway!

Erm if you fit a brand new chassis from a supplier eg richards/marslands etc, have proof of purchase, and PROOF OF DESTRUCTION of the old chassis, and change pretty much nothing else ie engine etc then yes in the eyes of the DVLA (VOSA not involved unless it needs a VIC) it is a straight swap, quick 5min inspection at your local office and you're good to go

Mike

i just read your question more carefully geoff.

if you tell the dvla that the chassis is destroyed, and then the 'guy' you sell it for offroading only to puts it on the road. and it gets back to you in any way, it will be you in trouble as you told them it was destroyed.

you can cut off the rail with the chassis number on it off and keep that. the rest of the chassis can be sold complete to anybody you like. this then can't get back to you as you have a rail from it with the chassis number on it. but to be honest, if you sell the chassis this way, whoever buys it will be using it for their landy anyway so will have the rail with chassis number of their's on it.

without the number on the chassis, there can be no comeback whatsoever to you as you have it in your posession.

also on a side note, if you keep the rest of the car at yours, then it is not being destroyed, so you don't need to tell anybody about it. when you eventually get it back on the road, ideally with a new galv'd chassis, you will be able to tell them it is destroyed then.

richard

As I said earlier if you cut out the chassis number from the rail you can use this as proof to the DVLA that that chassis number cannot be re-used so therefore is destroyed.

If you sell the remaining metal (as that is now all that it is) to someone who fabricates it into an offroad vehicle then fine.

Steve