Winter tyres

jimmy_neutron

I'm thinking of fitting winter tyres on my car as my defender is off the road this winter :angry:

Started to search the net for information on various tyres but it turned into a mare as good snow tyres aint good in the wet which isn't much use either. Does anyone have a good comparison table for car winter tyres ???

cheers

Bro just bought Toyo Snowprox and we fitted them last night. Tested on ungritted roads and the grip levels are fantastic. When I was in southern Germany I had Dunlop Winter SP tyres and they were very good and excellent in the wet. Never once had them aquaplane. In fact all winter tyres should be better in the wet than a summer tyre due to their design. If you go to Mytyres.co.uk and check the range of winter tyres in your size you can read a test on each tyre which gives a good indication of their worth. I was checking and the BF Goodrich ones and the continental ones seem to be the best all rounders. Beware the cheap ones as the results for them seems to indicate they would be a poor investment.

You say that Nick but I got 100K kms out of a set of Dunlop winter tyres and a set of Michelin summer tyres (together not per set). They were on the car for roughly half a year each (though I probably did more miles in the summer months admittedly). There was more tread left on the dunlops but I ripped the sidewall out of one on a rock so decided to change the complete set.

You say that Nick but I got 100K kms out of a set of Dunlop winter tyres and a set of Michelin summer tyres (together not per set). They were on the car for roughly half a year each (though I probably did more miles in the summer months admittedly). There was more tread left on the dunlops but I ripped the sidewall out of one on a rock so decided to change the complete set.

suppose it depends on the brand, father outlaw had some verdestein (sp?) and they wore out horrifically fast over the summer...