wiper fuse keeps blowing?

Hi All,

for some reason by wiper motor keeps blowing (twice now) for no reason (90 v8). I've not changed anything electrical on this circuit but obviously the wiper has seen more use recently due to the weather. It's never been great - usual slow speed ok, fast speed parks in the wrong place. The last time it went today the wipers weren't even on. The fuse cover was off as i'd replaced it ealier today and i thought i saw a little thing out of the corner of my eye, checked the wipers - nothing...

I've done a search but i cannot see any known fault posts so before i start stripping it down i wanted to ask on here if anyone can offer any help?

any ideas?

thanks in advance

Rick

i had a problem that was the same as you describe. i tried a couple of things like disconecting the wiper mech, which didnt help, so i replaced the wiper motor and it solved the problem. it was easy and cheap to replace, i can only imagine that it was caused by a short circut in the motor its self. all the best.

i had a problem that was the same as you describe. i tried a couple of things like disconecting the wiper mech, which didnt help, so i replaced the wiper motor and it solved the problem. it was easy and cheap to replace, i can only imagine that it was caused by a short circut in the motor its self. all the best.

The "parking in the wrong place" comment in the OP makes me wonder if the self-parking switch (on the side of the motor, three wires) is on the way out. I don't think you can get them seperately though?

hi guys,

thanks for the replies. I'll have a good look to see if any other circuits are running off this one then double check all the wiring for the motor. if that fails then i think it's a case of having to change the motor as fast has never worked correctly. The last time the fuse went the wipers were not even on so i'm hoping it's either an earth issue or something else on this circuit.. (wishfull thinking)

Any recommendations on where to buy a cheap motor if i need to replace it?

thanks again

Rick

The wiper motor park switch has an ignition-controlled, unswitched, live connected to it - this enables it to continue to power the wiper motor to the wiper's park position when the column wiper switch is turned to off.

Hi,

You answered your own question "fast speed parks in the wrong place"

Your problem is the parking switch, i had the same thing one of the contacts inside the parking switch broke off and crossed the rest and blew the fuse.

The broken off contact was loose inside the parking switch box and it can move around and short out sometimes.

You can buy the switch on its own from LR, i dont have the part number to hand but someone will have it.

I was advised to change the whole wiper motor at mega £££££, but i only changed the switch and two years later its still working fine.

Hope this helps.

I have a similar problem with that same fuse blowing. I've narrowed it down to a problem with the wiring for the reversing lights rather than the wipers. When I disconnect the wire to the reversing lights switch on the gearbox, I don't get anymore problems with the fuse blowing. Haven't managed to get around to finding the actual fault yet, I just do without the reversing lights.

if a new park switch doesn't cure the roblem, then a known good or new wiper motor will, check the drive cable is well greased 7 the wheel boxes thar drive the iper arms are free to move [rotate], if these are very stiff the motor could suffer.

I have a similar problem with that same fuse blowing. I've narrowed it down to a problem with the wiring for the reversing lights rather than the wipers. When I disconnect the wire to the reversing lights switch on the gearbox, I don't get anymore problems with the fuse blowing. Haven't managed to get around to finding the actual fault yet, I just do without the reversing lights.

I had exactly the same problem on my '84 90 HT - I found that the wiring that ran down across the bellhousing to the reversing light switch had become old/brittle and was creating enough of a circuit with the earthed bellhousing and the associated oily filth on it to blow the fuse.

Sadly I wasn't bright enough to work this out before changing the wiper motor ...