locking filler cap LOCKED?

My key for the filler cap has snapped,fortunatley I filled up yesterday and only do about 300 mile a month

still, I dont wanr to become complacent, so any ideas how to

a) get the locked fuel filler cap off

b) get the lock barrel off so that I replace it

F)use the filler cap if I can't replace the lock

All sugestions welcome

I find most joke locks will open if I try the keys on my "big ring of obsolete keys" and jiggle a bit. If you snapped a key though you will want to wd40 it in advance. A bump key should also work if you can get someone to make you one.

Like I said, drill the lock out. Then the cap remains good for the new lock, don´t just smash it with the screwdriver or something...

I had something broken off in mine (I presume from a failed attempt to unlock the cap to nick my petrol), the barrel was pretty mangled up. I found that with careful use of a Dremmel with the round ended bit in it,I could remove enough of the lock internals, such that any key/screwdriver would open it.

Colin.

A warning from my time at the roadside. Dont be too agresive with removing the old lock, bits could drop down into the tank. Sounds inprobable but it has hapened. :wub: I have managed to get a broken key out ocasionaly but you have to be very lucky. New locks are quite cheap but you end up with another key just for youre filler cap.Good luck.

I have separate keys for my doors and filler cap but the door key opens the filler cap with enough wiggling. I once got a friends pug going with a screw driver in the ignition barrel when he broke the key in the door, if that works then surely you can do the same with the filler cap on a defender.