Defender TD5 (MY2002) Cruise Control

Actually it´s got nothing to do with remapping. The Cruise Control is programmed in the factory for all post -02 ECU:s. So you can change to the later post -02 ECU and it´s got the Cruise Control program inside already. Just plug and play. Of course you will have to change injector codes to make it work properly, but even that is not necessary...

Hi Wikus/110westcape,

Can you please confirm that the cruise control works correctly in all gears (or over a certain speed)?

I've read another post on this forum which stated that fitting this mod results in cruise control that only works in fourth gear?

Also on your excellent schematic is the dashed-line box with six black dots inside the "three way rocker switch"? - sorry for being stupid!

Reading the schematic I assume there is no connection to brake/clutch pedal inhibit switches?

Regards,

Owen

Hi Wikus/110westcape,

Can you please confirm that the cruise control works correctly in all gears (or over a certain speed)?

I've read another post on this forum which stated that fitting this mod results in cruise control that only works in fourth gear?

Also on your excellent schematic is the dashed-line box with six black dots inside the "three way rocker switch"? - sorry for being stupid!

Reading the schematic I assume there is no connection to brake/clutch pedal inhibit switches?

Regards,

Owen

Hi Owen,

I can confirm that it works in 4th and 5th gears over 40 kph. I have not tried it in other gears yet. The "dashed line box" is the switch used for set/accellerate and suspend/resume functions. I used a TD5 electric window switch (the one normally used for the up-down functions). If unsure which of the six pins to connect ..... pin 1 of this switch provides +12V into the switch, pin 4 & 3 connects to ECU pins 11 & 17. It provides momentary +12v to switch the ECU for CC purposes. If you are unsure which of the switch pins to use, it is easy enough to connect a 12v test lamp to the switch pins and play around with it until you find the correct combination.

The +12v to Pin 10 of the ECU enables the CC to disconnect when the brake pedal is depressed. The CC also disconnects when the clutch pedal is operated. I added an on / off switch (heated seat switch) between the +12V feed from the loom and pin 15 of the ECU to activate of de-activate the CC.

Cheers

Wikus

Hi,

Will this not work on the pre 2002 td5 defenders if you modified the maps?

As there was cruise control on the earlier discos, and they used the same ECU's so surely it is possible to 'activate' that function in the ECU when you remap/chipping an early ECU??

Thanks

Grant

At least Gary from TD5 Alive didn´t know how to program/alter it even in the later model ECU´s, it´s hidden inside the map. I strongly believe that this function is not in older ECU´s, might be mechanical cruise on the older ones. But I´m not sure of that. Could be easier to obtain a used newer model NNN000520 ECU. Btw it doesn´t need any switch to activate/disengage it, will work well with only those two switches, because the other one disengages it, and other one activates.

Works on every gear from as low as 40km/h (25mph).

Excuse the ignorance please, is this something that I need to action w.r.t. the link or is it done by the forum moderators ?

You don't need to do anything to get it in the Tech Archive, a link to this thread has been added to the tech archive by myself [requesting it's added & actioned by the Moderator who looks after the tech archive].

I have read that this does not work if you are using a 1.2 transfer box instead of the standard 1.4. Can anyone confirm this one way or the other. I would hate to wire it all up and then find it will not work.

don't see why the transfer high range ratio would make any difference.

From my reading on this forum I've seen people mention problems with a GKN overdrive unit and also another case where transfer gearing had been altered. Think the thread on here about it stated something like they only get cruise in fourth gear or something like that.