Importing a Defender to UK

Jens

Have a few quest about the rules on importing my Defender to the UK.

I'm moving to the UK in the near future and would like to take

my Defender with me.

It's a 99' model TD5 with 37" tires and road legal in Iceland,

would it be any problem getting it registered in the UK?

If the above would be possible, how is the cost of it calculated?

-

Jens

If you can possibly get an EU Certificate of Conformity for your vehicle from your LR dealer it will help, DVLA do a paperwork pack with all the info on registering. Some UK insurers will insure on the chassis number rather than the UK reg, Direct Line is one.

I brought a new, unregistered 90 back here in 2005, went in to the local DVLA office and was legal with V5 registration Document and Road Fund Licence in about an hour. Yours will need an MOT as it is over 3 years old. I am not sure what the import tax will be on a 10/11 year old vehicle.

because selling a car in iceland at the moment is somewhat slow.

also it looks from the wee picture to be modified quite a lot, so if you have the car tailored to your tastes, it doesn't make much sense to start again. perhaps when the kreppa abates he will want to take it back again.

a small cost will be changing your headlights to right hand drive when you get here, about £20 for a new set from paddocks etc.

Oh and if you don't have a spare wheel (maybe you have one inside, but i noticed a spare was not such a popular accessory in iceland) bring one or budget for getting one here. If you get a flat here, not many local tyre fitters will have 37" tyres in stock to get you going again quickly if the tyre can't be repaired.

Doesn't sound like much trouble then.

The only worry I have now, will be driving on the left side with the steering wheel on the left as well. :huh:

Cheers

Well, I spend a lot of the time abroad so I'm driving on the right with the wheel on the right, we could meet up and swap bulkheads, steering boxes etc? :-)

Nice Defender by the way.

Couldn't have said it better myself callum

It has everything I want on/in it and drives like a dream so why part with it.

Here is a some bigger images of it

post-7510-126331724503_thumb.jpg

post-7510-126331760837_thumb.jpg

Hmmmm :o Does not have all.. Need steering guard maybe??? And that spade could be a perfect tool to break into the back and get whatever the thief needs in the truck!!

There's lots of info on importing a vehicle here:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/BuyingAndSellingAVehicle/ImportingAndExportingAVehicle/index.htm

You will need to carry out the following modifications ( as well as making sure that the wheels fit within the wheelarches ):

1. Fit a speedo that is calibrated in MPH

2. Replace the headlight lenses with UK spec ones

3. Fit an extra foglight on the right rear.

After that you can get an MOT and then register the vehicle.