Where to purchase gearbox.

I just bought 1995 Defender 300TDI. I knew it had a gearbox fault when i bought it. Basically it pops out of gear in 4th and is a little tricky to get into 4th. You cant change down from 5th to 4th. Also, there is a noise that i can only describe to be like the sound of the steam coming from the chimney of a steam train traveling fast. Its feint but its there. I also keep getting the odd whiff of EP90. Apart from that the other gearswork fine.

The only other thing i would say im not sure about, is when changing up to the next gear, when releasing the clutch when it bites there is a dull clonk and it grabs quite hard. Its a struggle to get a perfectly smooth transition. Ive read up on the transmission overhaul proceedure and its a fairly big job. I dont want to be doing it twice in quick succession, so i think a new box would be better than trying to fix it. Unless someone who knows tells me otherwise of course.

Interestingly, and i think youl find this ammusing. A mechanic friend in the workshop next to mine, kindly looked up the book time for removing and replacing the gearbox. Aparently it can be done in 4hrs!! I think more like 14hrs.

Questions:

1/Assuming i do need a new transmission, which brand of recon by who? (i only have £600 max)

2/Is the grabbing and dull clonk the norm for a Landrover defender ? (i cant believe it would be)

Before you do anything - what oil is in it at the moment? If it is EP90, then changing to MTF94 may well make a world of difference! Although i would expect all of the gearchanges to be difficult especially when cold if that were the case. EP90 is way too thick for the main box. Worth checking/changing the oil anyway.

Otherwise Ashcrofts are the ones to talk to as suggested.

Guest wunntenn

Check whats in the box first, whether its EP90 or tranny fluid, or perhaps a mix of both if a seal is gone. If needing a replacement I can also recommend Ashcrofts from personal experience. And even after purchase and fitting they have been consistently helpful with queries and advice. Their reputation in my opinion is well deserved and I'd have no qualms about giving them my money again.