1989 td tuning

I have tried searching the forum and havent found anything as the title suggests is there anything I can do to my 1989 lr90 turbo diesel I cant afford a tdi at the moment has anyone ever played with fuel mix strength or anything i can do with the turbo

First hand - don't bother with an additional intercooler, a lot of ar*sing about for not a lot of gain. I'd go with my very long term plan - remove everything forward of the handbrake and fit a V8 (with Megasquirt of course :lol: ) and appropriate boxes.

Guest wunntenn

I put an Allard intercooler on my 89 TD 110 and it improved it noticeably. Hills I previously needed to use third on I was now able to go up in fourth. It ran smoothly, would pull near 80mph if I really pushed it (which was not often), and my regular laid back habit of running comfortably at 55-65mph returned nearly 30mpg and it went with no problems until it got to just over 170,000 miles, at which point it was still running sweetly but I swapped it for a 200 tdi as part of an overhaul. For a small investment the intercooler is a good idea, easily fitted, easily removed and sold on later.

I have tried searching the forum and havent found anything as the title suggests is there anything I can do to my 1989 lr90 turbo diesel I cant afford a tdi at the moment has anyone ever played with fuel mix strength or anything i can do with the turbo

I absolutely, positively, certainly WOULDN'T fiddle with a working TD as any extra strain will render it NOT working in short order! The TD in a 110 has a nasty habit of self-destructing at about 140,000 miles. For 90s, it seems to last longer- I can only assume because it is less stressed.

I know of two people near me who put intercoolers on working TDs and seemed to get more performance from them, but the engines still died and were replaced with 200Tdis later. Whether the intercooler delayed or speeded up final ruination of the engine is a moot point; I think I could argue either, depending on if I was selling intercoolers or Disco 200Tdi lumps!

Save up and get rid of the boat anchor as soon as possible.

The intercooler should in theory reduce the combustion temperature, which makes it easier on the pistons.

Given you can pick up a cooler for about 20quid at a scrappy and knock up some pipework to make it fit, i'd go for it. As long as you leave the fuelling alone, it certainly wont do any harm, and its quite likely to make the engine last a bit longer.

thanks very much for your thoughts I think you have mainly confirmed my suspicions that as my old oil burner is working well leave it till I want to replace it

My instinct is also that an intercooler can be nothing but a good idea, accepting that second-hand least cost will be more acceptable than brand new. I regard the intercooler as being 'stress neutral', any increased stress due to more performance (through a more complete burn) is compensated by the lower intake air temperature.

However, even above the intercooler, I suggest having the injectors checked and overhauled as found necessary, just as preventative maintenance. Poor spray patterns cause piston damage and shorten the life of the engine, as well as increasing fuel consumption. Good spray patterns will ensure you have the maximum designed performance, without 'overstressing' the engine.

HTH

What options for an intercooler but was quite shocked at the price of a new intercooler and radiator for a defender im also thinking about changing my viscous fan for an electric one, my injectors were replaced when i rebuilt the engine to be honest the performance of my engine isnt poor it will pull itself to about 75 ish but thought i might be able to make it slighlty better