VM engines

bushwhacker

Hi.

Has anyone any information on the VM engines used by Land Rover the 2.4/2.5. I hope to put a VM into my 110.

Yes I know a 200/300 would be better but the VM is in my garage bought and paid for so I would like to use it. If it turns out to be a lemon then I will go 200/300, at the minute anything would be better than the lack luster 2.5na. :( Which is only maginally ok if your not causing a tailback :D

Willing to pay for postage of any useful material.

Boat engine, best used as a boat anchor. New set of heads about £1500 from what I remember of having to pacify somebody who once had to buy some!

It was good in its day but its day was the mid 80s and things have moved on a bit since then :)

Some views differ see here: http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=15868

Personally I would go straight for a Tdi, less work to fit, probably more decent ones around and cheaper to fix if it goes bang.

Thanks for the replies.

The VM will do until I get a 200/300 engine. It would not have even got on to my long list never mind the short one.

Just my thoughts but why would a boat builder put an unreliable engine in to their boat?

It's not like you could park up and walk to the nearest garage if it broke down.

I will keep you's posted if interested even if it goes tits up. :lol:

Nothing wrong with the VM when treated with respect. Some over here ,France, with over 300,000 kms all original , just regular servicing and do not exceed 3000 rpm. Others knackered at 50,000kms.

Note that the block on the Chrysler voyager, Jeep , Rover 800 is not the same as the Range Rover, but cyl heads are the same, hope yours is ex RR. The later cyl heads ( about '94 on) are reinforced and only give up when abused. Heads should be available around the £100 tested . Usually it is 3 and 4 that suffer from overheating.

Performance is similar to 200/300 but since it has the same Bosch pump as the tdi it can be tweaked. Do not exceed 1 bar turbo boost , EGT 650°c, measure cyl head temp of no.4 and you have a different beast. Max boost starts at 1500rpm rather than 2500 and so much more torque at same speed. In my RR 2.4VM you can accelerate past a lorry in top gear from 90km/h same as any other ordinary car now , before you just stayed behind as the lorry pulled away up the hill!

My engine had over 300,000kms , rebuilt it with the not so worn bits from a Rover 800 (ebay £50) pump, cyl heads, injectors, turbo, its not perfect but did not cost much more than time and it is working until I find a 2.5VM at a sensible price to rebuild and tweak.If your french is any good have a look at www.cambouis.com it has the most recent cyl head tightening sequence and other info. Happy to try and answer any questions.

You must be out of your mind!

Or just like loads of work changing engines back and forth!

You can pick up a good Tdi 2/300 for very little and you will just hate the VM unless you are fully skilled at fooling your self!

If that is the case, then buy some snake oil and a fuel catalyser and an inlet twisty thing and you will be well away! :D

Lara

Yes I know you can get a 200/300 for x amount but right now I do not have x amount and won't have for the near future. I hope to do most of the work myself, I also have an old Disco so I won't be without a Land Rover perish the thought. ;)

The 2.5 d (d for dead) in it now and has had it's day the VM is in the garage so I will give it a go. I will let you's know how I get on and what the VM is like in the 110. :ph34r:

Thanks for the encouragement and discouragement. :blink:

Ah someone from this side of the shuck. :D Thanks, yea I do need a plate but hope to have one sorted. I sold a Lightweight with a duff VM (removed) on a 4 speed box to a guy fairly local who says he has a plate to mate up the LT 77 to a VM and he will do a swop for my Milner plate.

Are you in any of the Irish Clubs north or south. I am a member of the NILRC.

I am in Co Down give me a shout if your up this way.