Brake Failure

The breaks failed on my 1984 Land Rover 90 yesteerday, luckly it was on my drive, the pedal went right to the floor.

The thing is there was a new Master cylinder fitted about three monthes ago due to the original one going, what Iam wondering is there some thing that could cause the master cylinder to fail or is it just bad parts the cylinder is from B***Part I assumed that being a brake part that it would OK, and most stuff i have had from them has been OK.

To be certain of my diagnossis is there any other thing that could cause this, I have chacked the pipes wheel and cylinders although I have not taken a drum off, but with the pedal going down so far I would think there would be fluid visable and the leval in the master cylinder is not going down noticeably.

Ronnie.

unbolt it from the servo & see if there's any brake fluid coming past the seals/dustcover, I wouldn't trust it again & replace it with a APLockheed or Lucas/girling part.

^^^ hear hear. At 26 years old I'd also wonder about the flexible pipes "ballooning" - get an assistant to press the pedal while you've got your hand round them, if they are the original ones.

You've checked the other obvious one (the wheel cylinders / calipers).

The brakes are working properly today, I know this is not satisfactory and proberbly won't last I canot trust it anyway. Could the brake bias valve cause this intermitant fault, This was the way the last master cylinder went but it looked pretty old if not original.

All the brake pipes and flexi hoses were new last year when it was rebuilt on a new chassis this work was not done by me I bought this way.

Ronnie.

Would a sticking piston or two cause the pedel to go so far down, the brake pedel is OK for now but I still don't trust it and will need to look at the front calipers when I can get it in my shed, but it's got my Intrnational B275 in just now for a starter overhaul so no space for a Land Rover.

Ronnie.

The problem is almost certainly the B***part master cylinder, had exactly the same happen in my earlier days on a series III Lwt, fortunately it failed during bleeding(!)

File it under B and got get a lucas/girling/AP Lockheed part, where it's brakes... is it really worth the tenner you save?

Would a sticking piston or two cause the pedel to go so far down, the brake pedel is OK for now but I still don't trust it and will need to look at the front calipers when I can get it in my shed, but it's got my Intrnational B275 in just now for a starter overhaul so no space for a Land Rover.

Ronnie.

Hi Ronnie,

Sticking pistons would not cause the pedal to go to the floor, if anything the pedal would have less travel than normal.

I agree with everyone else, the most likely cause is the master cylinder. If it's only 3 months old and you have the receipt, I'd be asking for my money back.

Mark.

The breaks failed on my 1984 Land Rover 90 yesteerday, luckly it was on my drive, the pedal went right to the floor.

The thing is there was a new Master cylinder fitted about three monthes ago due to the original one going, what Iam wondering is there some thing that could cause the master cylinder to fail or is it just bad parts the cylinder is from B***Part I assumed that being a brake part that it would OK, and most stuff i have had from them has been OK.

To be certain of my diagnossis is there any other thing that could cause this, I have chacked the pipes wheel and cylinders although I have not taken a drum off, but with the pedal going down so far I would think there would be fluid visable and the leval in the master cylinder is not going down noticeably.

Ronnie.

Hi,

Exactly the problem i was having.

Fitted a b***part master cylinder last week.Didnt last long enough to bleed the brakes.Fitted a genuine one,problem solved.....