Propshaft Orientation

Wex

90 TD19J 1990

I'm replacing both propshafts.On the vehicle I'm changing out the orientation of the old shafts was :

Rear: male end ( narrow end) bolted to rear diff & wide end bolted to rear of transfer box

Front:Male end bolted to front diff & wide end bolted to front of transfer box

I have a C reg ('86?) which I use for parts so out of curiosity I had a look at the make up on that vehicle :

Rear: male end to transfer box & wide end to rear diff

Front: Male end to front diff & wide end to front of transfer box ( same as the first vehicle)

Which way should they be orientated or does it matter ? The first vehicle has been mucked about with a bit , so I'm dubious about replacing like for like.

Cheers.

Sliding joint end to the transfer box, both front and back.

Cheers David smile.gif

The reason I'm renewing is a woeful vibration in the drivetrain.Beides UJ wear , would the fact that props weren't placed correctly affect their balance and contribute

to the problem ?

I have always wondered this and got both orientations from proffessionals including various mechanics including Landrover ones and Devon 4X4. The most sensible was the theory that they should be put onto the vehicle so that any moisure cannot flow into the sliding joint with gravity. Still don't know the actual answer and would be interested to know including any reasonaing behind it.

Cheers David smile.gif

The reason I'm renewing is a woeful vibration in the drivetrain.Beides UJ wear , would the fact that props weren't placed correctly affect their balance and contribute

to the problem ?

hi, according to haynes, chapter 8.2 sliding end points to front axle on front prop and sliding end on the back prop towards tranfer box, from experience i had virbration when my rear prop was wrong way round, i have d90 1987 td, ;):) defender dinky

• 1 year later...

Old thread resurrection time,

Haynes manual says front prop sliding end to diff,

Rave says sliding ends to transfer box

Scanned '93 WSM from Retroanacondas site says nothing about orientation,

Scanned WSM (unsure of date I think 1984) says nothing of orientation,

Series 3 manual says sliding sections to the front, I know it's a different vehicle but may be where Haynes got it from.....

Does it actually make any difference which way around it is fitted? and if it does why? I have read about the out of phase bit but regardless of which way around the prop is it will still be out of phase by the same amount won't it?

I'm confused :s