Help with a decision!!

davespark

Basically got a Frontera at the min. Need something bigger and better, ie rangerover/disco. I have 3 kids. I like off roading. Which is best as I have also lokked at shoguns etc. i need re-convincing that landrover is best please!!! Also comments on ground clearance of all 3 will be welcome, wheel articulation and diff locks as the shogun also has a rear one?????? Sorry this post is written basic as it is the 3rd time I have done it due to internet connection problems!!!!

Hi there,

RRC - sills rust out and in my mind are too nice to trash on an off-road site (currently restoring a CSK and 4.2V8 LSE)

Disco - proper bit of kit, seats 7, the 300 series body has antiroll bars and nice seats so great on road. The 300tdi and 3.9v8 and both great engines and depends on your prefferance. both have centre diff-locks. You can pick up an ARB locker for £550 per axle, plus you can then fit a tyre inflator as you already have the compressor. With a 2" lift and 235/85/16 tyres a disco with its 100" wheelbase is the idle vehicle. Its got the off road performance of a 90 and the carrrying cap of a 110.

I run a disco 3.9 auto as my everyday, with a 2" terrafirma lift, polybushes, wheel spacers, 265/75/16 KL71 tyres, rock and tree sliders, guards, etc etc etc. basically is a discreet offroader. I have played in the mud with frontiers and the disco always wins as it has a higher ground clearance and the torque. At the end of the day - Land Rovers are offroaders that can go on the road, (and to an extend some jeeps and toyotas) everything else is a road car that can occasionaly go off road.

Also going for LRs is the shere amount of accessories and aftermarket spares. If you are thinking of buying and you need help or advice on what to check or more advice let me know and I will happyliy help.

Dave

Hard one to call, as I have no experience of Shoguns...I'll bet mpost people on here are the same (probably why you have had so few replies).

Having been at a few offroad/trials events, the standard LR's always do pretty well. The non-standard, lifted, non-MOT'd vehicles that come on trailers (ie not road legal) are completely different...

As standard a LR will always do pretty well against other standard road-legal 4x4's from what I have seen.

Land Rover ownership for most of us will be about Land Rovers, not generic 4x4's I guess (in my experience, when I wanted a 4x4 it never crossed my mind that this could be anything other than a LR).

Ths vehicle gets under your skin, and the ownership experience is amazing (helped by forums such as this).

Buy a Landy, enjoy the camerarderie and ownership experience!

Frontera's - expensive to fix when something goes wrong (£90 for a cv boot!!!) and not the most reliable, transfer boxes can give trouble, as well as electrics, and the old diesel lump they put in them was never the best on the block.

Shogun's - plenty of aftermarket support, but can be really expensive when something goes wrong. Common problems at the moment seem to be the head gaskets going on 2.8's, and when they do, they seem to be taking the head out as well.

Disco's - better off road than a range rover, can be altered to suit your needs, and most of the stuff is interchangeable between models. Cheap to buy (but watch for rust :) )cheap ish to look after, and most of all, they are fun to drive on and off road. Look at plenty and set a budget for the best one you can find, you won't be disappointed with it.

Landrover owners are generally down to earth people who will talk to you about their vehicles, most of the other stuff just seems to attract the school run brigade....

Frontera, tried a few, quite nice on road, average off road, expensive parts, Shogun, close to Frontera.

Classic Range Rover, expensive to run, good cheap parts, easy to work on but the older the better, P38 can be a challenge.

Disco, will rust in the same spots as R/R, same back up as R/R most parts are the same.

Without doubt if you want a 4x4 which can do all you ask of it you really need a Land Rover product, you can tow all day, go off-road, wash it off and go to the hilton for your meal.

Disco's - better off road than a range rover

Not sure I follow that, given that they are pretty much the same car with a different box on top :unsure:

Like for like (same year, similar spec) there's not much to choose between a RR or Disco, Discos are slightly more family friendly and more commonly found in TDi form, whereas RR's are generally better specced and more often V8. Underneath everything's basically the same parts so the same things go wrong and the spares cost the same. I have to say I prefer RR's over Discos as they are just a nicer place to be, especially on a long journey.

Ground clearance is what you make of it, you can do a suspension lift or fit bigger tyres (or portal axles :P ) but it's a trade off of time, money, and what you actually need. People forget how far these things will get in standard form with a set of decent tyres.

If you fit a locking diff (or two) you may well want to look at uprated shafts, etc. etc and again it gets expensive pretty quickly.

Articulation, both are pretty good from the factory (I think about the best compared with the other manufacturers) again it's a question of how much you need and what your wallet can stretch to.

Without knowing your ultimate goal it's difficult to know what to suggest - a family daily drive that can get round at a play day, or an out and out off-roader that has 4 seats. A good stock RR or Disco with a set of BFG mud terrains will do most things very well.

Just to echo what everyone else has said really...

I freelance for an off road experience company. We use Disco 2 & 300 Tdis daily, all are standard apart from fitting MT tyres and making sure they have decent recovery points - couldn't ask for a more capable vehicle really.

I've serviced and repaired a number of Shoguns - they are less robust than a Disco - from smaller x-section chassis to overcomplicated independant front suspension etc. Lots of plasticy gimmicks as well. Alright as a daily drive/tow vehicle but I wouldn't want to use one like I would a Discovery.

Matt

i run a disco and went laning with a group including a pajero, similar to a shogun and the ground clearance on that was rubbish, probably due to the guard under the engine, definately go for a disco, loads of seats and tdi to boot, can't beat it.

dangerous d where are you from? i know someone we call dangerous dave, probably a common nickname, or is it best not to get a lift in your disco lol :lol:

It is sounding like I will be getting a disco, have seen some nice ones around, 300tdi around 1996-1998 for around £3000-£3500. Most have full service history. I do not need an all out off road machine, but one that is good for it if I want it, the Frontera actually done great the few times I have been, so the disco being better will be fine. I have the Kumho at tyres on the frontera and they seem ok, I like the look of the General AT2 tyres???? Do all the disco's have a locking centre diff? I won't really be doing any towing as such, apart from family members that break down or get stuck in mud when turning around in a sloped entry to a field, that has happened!!!

Basically although I wont be off roading every day of the week, I like to know in my mind that what ever the weather, I can go anywhere!!

well i have had a shogun

and several range rover classics

and several dicos

in my opinion a shogun drives better on the road to drive and has more interior space but is utter poo on fuel and spare parts are very expensive compared to landrovers pants off road

rangie classic drives nicer than a disco (less body roll etc) but has less interior space than a disco and only 5 seats

my disco tdi does everything i ask of it does great mpg (over 600 miles to a tank) but i would like a bit more interior space for my dog but mine has rear air con so looses a good chunk of boot space

as for at2.s there brilliant for a occasional off roader/green laner and superb on the road (easily a match for the kumho kl71 i had on the shogun) and last well

all disco 1,s have a centre diff lock but many are seized from never being used

rob

I reckon you made up your mind before you asked the question!

Think.... I want a bit of unbiased advice on buying a Landrover over something else....Think......where shall I go........Think......I know.....a Landrover forum!

All joking aside.

Welcome onboard

You will be on here an awful lot more yet me thinks!