BFG AT - biggest size for Defender Td4?

Newbie question coming up...

I am planning on putting a set of BFG ATs on my recently purchased Defender Td4. What is the biggest size I can go for without modifying the car? (suspension, wheel spacers etc.)

Is it 265 or can I go for 285 without causing problems for myself? And does anyone have a link to a picture of a Defender Td4 with either of the ATs mentioned... Just to check out the appearance...

Thanks a lot!

Best Regards

SHA

I have 305/70/16. No suspension mods, no lifting. Only 8X16 Compomotive wheels. Maybe possible to fit even 315/70/16 but then needing to adjust the steering limiter bolts/reducing turning circle a bit.

Sorry, no place to host the pictures... but can send PM if you need. There it is in Avatar, but small.

Sorry about the poor picture, but the red 110 is an '09 model with 285/75/16 BFG AT's on 8" Compomotive rims.

No mods, no changes. Works fine.

The blue Tdi behind is also on 285's, but Cooper STT's.

My point is that the tyre make may actually make a difference.

ETS002.jpg

Thanks PeteThePilot

But it looks like your tires are sticking out from the car. That is not allowed where I live :-)

So that would require a modification... So I doubt that 305 is actually possible on a Defender Td4 without modes.

Anyone else?

Actually it´s the same law in here. The side of the tire can stick out, but not the tread itself. And these are just legal. Got MOT 2 weeks ago. Not sure about 315´s though...

Finally I managed to upload the image, had to adjust the settings and resize it. I have a better one also somewhere, but couldn´t find it right now. But as you can see, the answer to your question what is the biggest possible, we are getting near here... but still legal. 8x16 Compomotives, 305/70/16. I like them... ;)

Actually there doesn´t seem to be very big difference between these and those 285´s in previous picture.

post-19168-126678266188_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...

I've got 33mm wheelspacers 285 75 r16 on dotz Dakar 7 16 rim's

The dotz got 25 mm extra so i've got a wheelarch extension

And now i 've got it after 6 attamps( sorry spelling)

Through german mot

The Cars Dimension had to be changed

The Width of the car got 4% over max what landrover Germany permits

But it that is permitted

Your mot is a laugh

Please let me have an english mot

But what if i tried bigger Size wheels

Would that improve drivability in mud?

Why do you want such oversized tyres? They're bad for performance, economy, handling, off road ability and steering/wheel bearing wear. Their only benefit is for sand or deep snow driving. I would keep to 235/85 or 7.50 - that what LR found most effective for the Camel Trophy and the British Army and Royal Marines found most effective for almost every combat environment.

A few points:

- Depending on how concerned you are with tyre life I'd stick with the BFG ATs. They perform well on road and aren't bad on non-extreme offroad conditions. And they have a very good reputation for longevity. I only replaced the fronts on mine last year after 67K miles and they were still perfectly legal. The original rears are still on at 72K with about 7mm of tread but will need to go because the side walls are crazing badly from the sun now.

- Mine is on the original factory fitted 265/75 size which is obviously fine.

- There are two reasons to look for a taller tyre (three if you include cosmetic appearance). Firstly it increases the axle clearance and the lowest point on the diffs is the limiting factor for offroad clearance in a lot of situations and no amount of suspension lifting changes this. Secondly a larger diameter tyre sinks less on soft terrain.

I've got 33mm wheelspacers 285 75 r16 on dotz Dakar 7 16 rim's

The dotz got 25 mm extra so i've got a wheelarch extension

And now i 've got it after 6 attamps( sorry spelling)

Through german mot

The Cars Dimension had to be changed

The Width of the car got 4% over max what landrover Germany permits

But it that is permitted

Your mot is a laugh

Please let me have an english mot

But what if i tried bigger Size wheels

Would that improve drivability in mud?

Thank you for answering

I 've got the wheelspacers for my snowchains as i do go to norway or sweden at times but i did readjust the steering thingimigic cause i got some noise from those chains in the Forest in tight tree conditions

Well i'll be round soon to visit my kids in bournemouth and brighton

But Not a Lot of Snow

Just a Lot of old people

As Jack Dee Said

Anyway in germany every offroad place will tell you 255 85 r16 from Cooper the st's

Are the best

I found the 285 75 r16 stt from cooper very good even in winter

Just louder and louder

Well makes the engine quiet

I was just wondering about bigger tyres in mud and snow

Manfred