ATF or MTF 94

I contacted Dave at Ashcrofts and he said 2 or 3 doesn't matter as long as its good. He didn't say MTF94 was better but reading old threads it certainly is.

I'm on a hunt for the Honda Stuff......

As i'm in Lima there must be a Honda dealer,,,, but knowing the dealers they use something completely different. Most of the LR dealers i've gone into on our trip have never heard of MTF94 or indeed Swivel Grease.....!!! :blink:

Out of interest whats the change interval for a R380 running MTF94.....? It was 12,000 on Dexron. (I've now learnt its DEX-RON and not DEX-TRON !)

Don't forget, it isn't just viscosity that's important. Engine oils are formulated for very different conditions to gear oils. The additives to the former have to contend with heat and combustion products, whereas gear oils have to maintain film during extreme pressures. These different criteria require different oil additives, so it's best to stick with a "gear oil" for g'boxes and keep your engine oils for engines.

Mike

I wouldn't worry about MTF or ATF Neill. I have tried both in my LT77s in quick succession after it was reconditioned and TBH, there was bugger all difference between them. (same with the difflock evo oil too). I'll be going back to good quality ATF and just changing it regularly when I next drain the oil from the box.

Hmm I ran my re-con box on ATF at first, but had a sticky 2nd syncro, changed to MTF and the gear changes have certainly improved. MTF took me an age to hunt down, but would happily put ATF back in - MTF is a nice to have if you can get.

Hmm I ran my re-con box on ATF at first, but had a sticky 2nd syncro, changed to MTF and the gear changes have certainly improved. MTF took me an age to hunt down, but would happily put ATF back in - MTF is a nice to have if you can get.

Chris, What gearbox was it used in-as your signature at the bottom has both types in your collection?

John

Hmm I ran my re-con box on ATF at first.

Mine had this on both oils. I've lived with it and just learnt to change slowly when the box is cold. Reading around over the years, some folks reckon ATF is better than MTF, some that MTF is better than ATF. More lean on the side of MTF over ATF, and i am sure it is a better oil, but at the end of the day either will do the job until Neill gets to a place where he can re-fill with the oil of his choice).

So found a little Honda place and all he had was Honda CVT oil so its the worng stuff. I think i'm better staying on Dexron rathet than risk the chance of putting something strange in my box.

There seems to be more than one type of Honda MFT and theres and MTF 3 from Honda so who knows what this is. The stuff i think i need is just Honda MTF part number is 08798-9031

According to the analysis done in Argentina. http://www.landroverclub.com.ar/viewtopic.php?t=425&sid=db3ed9b652e292e1faae4a7a7683c91b its the same stuff.

Looks like its going to be Dexron....

Today I went to the local garage.....not so local as the first one couldn't lift the car on their ramp :rofl:

They change the oil for the price of the oil,,,,,, but I was supervising VERY closely.....(why don't they do this in the UK)

The MTF94 came out looking and feeling like new. No major bits on the magnet and the oil was smooth, clear and looked perfect. Have I wasted my money? I've been reading that MTF94 could last the life of the box :o but i'm not sure where that came from or if based on science. Anyone comment on OCI for MTF94 in a 380. Has there been any revision to the 12,000 miles?

The Spirax ATF thats gone back in was £3.75 a litre and gear changes are the same. The oil was no doubt warmed by the casing as the engine was a full temp but theres literally no difference in changes at all. Only time will tell if cold starts are different but cold is a rare thing down here. About as rare as the MTF94.

All I need to do now in change the PAS fluid as its about 100,000km since that was done and I cannot find an OCI for that at all.....anyone know whats recommended ?

I think the motor oil viscosities are rated differently. So could well be, that 0W30 in "real world" is just as "thick" as the 75W80. Not sure though.

Your right, gear oil viscosity values have much higher numbers than engine oil for the same actual thickness.