Windscreen Wipers

Recently the slow setting on my windscreen wipers became the same speed as the middle setting so now I have two speeds: quick and very quick. also if you turn the wipers off at the wrong point during the cycle they get stuck and don't finish the cycle.

anyone else had this problem?

cheers

JB

Mind if I hijack this thread a little??

My wipers only have 2 speeds, on and on slightly faster, shoudl it have an intermittent speed as well?

The stalk has a down position that I'm guessing should be an on request wipe but it does nothing.

What controls the speeds and is my switch breaking??

Thanks

on yours Steve, it should have a downward spring loaded flick wipe,could be a broken wire on back of switch.

the intermittent came with much later vehicles, though converting to intermittent can be done, I did a short write up on how I changed my '89 110, it's in the tech archive index.

No worries Steve,

Mine's a 1992 200tdi. If you push the leaver down it should be intermittent and this is the setting I use most often. The first notch up is medium which is too fast for light rain and spray. the top notch is fast and is just unnecessary for day to day use. It is the intermittent setting that I have lost and it is now the same speed as the medium setting.

If I didn't have intermittent I would convert it as per Western's suggestion. I find it to be the most useful setting.

I find the 'Land Rover' intermittent a bit fast for my liking. My Focus has a spring-loaded down position for single wipe, it's one of my favourite features of the car.

Wonder if it's possible to fit a switch stalk from a different vehicle...

You can fit the upgraded relay which gives a (re)programmable intermittent speed. There is a thread on here about it somewhere, and I think the relay is quite cheap. But I too would like the flick wipe.

Nigel

I find the 'Land Rover' intermittent a bit fast for my liking. My Focus has a spring-loaded down position for single wipe, it's one of my favourite features of the car.

Wonder if it's possible to fit a switch stalk from a different vehicle...

I usually just partially push the lever down with a tiny flick of the finger to achieve the same effect ;)

You can fit the upgraded relay which gives a (re)programmable intermittent speed. There is a thread on here about it somewhere, and I think the relay is quite cheap. But I too would like the flick wipe.

Nigel

I'm thinking a timer circuit with a variable input would allow me to tune it myself :D

I usually just partially push the lever down with a tiny flick of the finger to achieve the same effect ;)

Once a 'sweep' has started, the arms should come back to the rest position whatever the state of the switch....but this only works if your park switch is functioning properly....which mine isn't :P

Sorry JB can't help with your problem as mine is just as bad and im rubbish at electrics. My intermitent only works as full time on. There is no park on any speeds, i have to turn it off at the bottom of the sweep and about every 20 minutes of driving it turns its self on and i get a sweep of the blades. However most anoying is that the arc seems way to big. It goes over the outside of the window frame and smacks down on the bottom of the frame with a very anoying thud. Any ideas? Have i stolen the thread? cheers Jim

Sorry JB can't help with your problem as mine is just as bad and im rubbish at electrics. My intermitent only works as full time on. There is no park on any speeds, i have to turn it off at the bottom of the sweep and about every 20 minutes of driving it turns its self on and i get a sweep of the blades. However most anoying is that the arc seems way to big. It goes over the outside of the window frame and smacks down on the bottom of the frame with a very anoying thud. Any ideas? Have i stolen the thread? cheers Jim

mine goes too far down too since this problem has occurred, although not as far as hitting the frame. I'm going to try Western's suggestion and replace the park switch and see if this resolves it. I'm pony when it comes to electrics so if I don't have any luck I'll refer it to my local Land Rover fixer-upper.