Bulkhead Preparation...

Ive just bought a spanking new bulkhead for my 110. Now i dont have the pennies right now to galv it so was wondering what you guys thought would be the best way to prepare it for fitting. How to paint it / what paint to use etc etc. Waxoyl inside?

Any thoughts appreciated

Galvanising is the way to go, contact a company that does it and get a quote because you might be surprised at just how reasonable it is.

If not galvanising then Waxoil is the second best.

Take your newly painted bulkhead and tape up every hole you can see with masking tape. Turn the bulkhead upside down and pour warmed-up Waxoil down the pillars until it is full (you should see it oozing out past the holes after a while). Leave it as long as you like (I left mine a couple of hours on a very hot day) and then turn it upright again making sure to collect all the Waxoil which will run out of the pillars.

You now have a bulkhead that it better protected than one treated by spraying of Waxoil into the cavities alone.

Hi Need,

I galved my brand new TD5 bulkhead (£100 for shotblasting and galving but I recon you could get it done cheaper).

I put a post here http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=38064 (sorry for not putting a clicky link as my browser is playing up).

It helps you see all the mods you will need to do depending on the age of your 110 (my 90 is a 1986) and its definitely worth doing.

I thought my post was worthy of the Tech Archive but it never made it in :( (never mind :D )

Hope this helps.

Cheers

G :)

Just to play Devil's Advocate for a moment; galvanising will obviously make the bulkhead last, but also bear in mind how long your last bulkhead soldiered on before needing replacement? Depending on use of the vehicle it seems the average lifespan of a bulkhead is around 15-18years? Mine is approaching 25!

I utterly and totally agree with the principle or galvanising, and would do it myself in a heartbeat... However, many defender owners do not have the funds for such a procedure - especially when factoring in the cost of the new bulkhead itself! If you intend to keep and cherish the vehicle then fair enough. But is it a false economy? Investing in a future we do not yet know? I know this can by said when purchasing any bits for a truck, but who looks 15 years ahead when buying a CV joint, for example?

Who can honestly say that they will still own the same defender in 10+ years time - which is approximately the time it will take for the galvanising investment to start paying dividends? The sad odds are that by that time the vehicle will have suffered a significant mechanical failure, which for all but the die-hards will prompt disposal or sale. In which case, would a wiser investment be to fit a new 'vanilla' bulkhead and put the galvanising funds towards regular inspection and preventative maintenance of the drivetrain to prevent that big failure - or even some toys to enhance your enjoyment of the vehicle- and attend to the bulkhead question again when it becomes prudent...say some time in 2025? :blink:

Let the debate begin!

Who can honestly say that they will still own the same defender in 10+ years time

Well think I've had my 90 for more than 10 now and certainly had the 2a for over 30!

To the OP as others have said get the bulkhead galv'd. You've already made the biggest part of the investment just getting a new bulkhead and the effort of swapping the bulkhead out has to be one of the most time consuming jobs so get it galv'd now while you have the chance.

I agree, i've had my current 90 for 11-years so far and intend to keep it indefinitely.

Taking the previous argument, why would anyone buy a galvanised chassis when they could probably get away with a painted one and save themselves a few £ into the bargain? I think that there are still a few people who, even if they don't intend keeping a vehicle for a long time themselves like to do a good job and preserve the vehicle making it useable for long into the future regardles of whether it will be them owning it or not.

Ok there are plenty of people out there who will always buy cheap or secondhand parts just to keep a vehicle running for a little longer but I think (hope) that there are enough of us out there who want to do a job once only and therefore will do it to the best standard possible.