Swivel ball leak

The left swivelball on my Defender 110 98 mod is leaking a bit, is it ok just to fill the thing with one shot grease and hope everything will be fine or should I change the hole swivel with seals? How can I identify if the swivel balls are filled with grease or oil, it looks like its only possible to fill the swivel from the top?

The left swivelball on my Defender 110 98 mod is leaking a bit, is it ok just to fill the thing with one shot grease and hope everything will be fine or should I change the hole swivel with seals? How can I identify if the swivel balls are filled with grease or oil, it looks like its only possible to fill the swivel from the top?

hi,there should be a square type plug half way up, use this to fill up, until it starts to tickle out, and one slightly smaller plug underneath to drain off existing oil,i used ep90 oil defender dinky :)

Make sure there is no play in the swivel first as this will make it leak, to find out lift the wheel off the ground and see if there is side to side and up and down play. to remove this play you can take out one of the shims under the top of the pre-load boss on top of the swivel housing.

There is probably a more precise way to measure and adjust this play but this is how i always do it.

Rob

As^^^^^strip it up and get it done else you will get water in there and that could cost a lot. One whoM I bought truck from gave a d=#N about it and I did the dirty job. Well glad I did it cause I learnt a lot. Half shaft was full with mud. Get the seal replaced now or pay dearly in the future.

post-7610-126951249764_thumb.jpg

post-7610-126951264606_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the replies. Will first of all check the axel breather. The right swivel only leaks a bit, and the swivel was changed for some years ago, so I think the swivelball itself is ok, will try to loosen the seal, clean it, and tighten it up. On the left side there are som small dents/scratches in the swivel ball, will change the swivel ball and seals. Anyone know if paddockspares or MM4x4 deliver good quality parts? (they have good delivery deals for shipping to Norway).