RRC rear brake disc baffles me !!

DC_

Hi folks. Once again I'm out in the garage doing what I thought was gona be a simple disc and bearing change is turning out a pain.

Question is how do I get the old disk away from the hub? Undo the bolts I hear you cry ! Hmmmm there is a metal plate inside the disk preventing me from getting to the hub bolts . I'll post a pic as soon as I upload it to photobucket. How the hell do I get that plate out? I've undone the five 10 mm bolts that I thought held the disk on but it's still not shifting .

Help !!

It's in the garage soaking in WD40 I'll see if I can get it moving at some point tamara. If it should lift off it's no way moving !!!

Cheers for the info keep it coming folks

Are we talking bolts actually on top of the ring in picture 1 ?

It's mainly the grooves that have mud in them but I don't see any space for bolts. The five nuts have been loosened as in picture 2.

I had to replace my rear disks some time ago and I do recall four small bolts which are in the exciter ring, under the mud and scuffed up material on your photos.

There quite tiny and I snapped one getting them out.

Give it a good wash out and scrape the groves free of carp, should be there

Good luck

Humm so it would seam..

It was a long time ago but I do remember snapping one of the bolts and cussing thinking I would have to replace something expensive.

I will ask a mechanic friend of mine see if he can shed any light on it.

Cheers.

Only bolts are on it are the studs with 10mm nuts on them on the other side of the disk.

Off down to the motor factors to see if they have plusgas in.

Well, according to the HBOL you've done all you should need to to remove the ABS ring, it *should* 'lift off'  :rolleyes: Clearly a little more persuasion is required.... personally I would go with a blow lamp and keep tapping at it with a soft hammer.

Have you tried doing up the nuts a bit to get a good lever bar in there and wiggle it? It could free it quite simply...

Get the biggest hammer you can, and clout the disc (you are replacing it after all!) -the shocking should help a lot to release the rust, which is all that can realistically be holding it in place....

With the nuts done up a bit, can you not get a lever bar in between the nut/bolt and the hub? Not trying to get to it from the inside of the disc!

Okay doky

Got to bottom of it now

You have removed the four 10 mm bolts already; they are still there between the hub and disk.

Put the bolts back in for a few threads and gently leaver against the bolts pushing the ring up from the disk.

Gently moving on to leaning on it with a large leaver as I remember.

I wouldn’t put heat anywhere near it myself. The exciter ring would probably start to deform.

I should have looked closer at your pictures, it was a few years back that I did the job.

When I did this I just used a screwdriver between the nut and the hub to push the ring out. Do it gently and work your way round.

Alternatively, just drop the whole lot repeatedly on a hard surface from a great height and all will be well. They may not separate, but at least your frustration will be vented!! tongue.gif