transfer box ratio

sorry about dragging this out of the graveyard - but couldn't find a more appropriate thread in my brief search

I have a TD5 Defender running 1.4 ratio LT230 which has very noisy internals so I think it would be best to get it rebuilt
I'm thinking / considering changing ratio to 1.2 and loading a Disco map into the ECU - would there be any benefit in this / would it work OK or would it struggle with power issues in a defender using 1.2
alternatively would I be better off keeping it at 1.4 and fitting roamer drive or would it not have the guts?

thoughts?

On 5/4/2021 at 4:49 AM, MBE_NZ said:

sorry about dragging this out of the graveyard - but couldn't find a more appropriate thread in my brief search

I have a TD5 Defender running 1.4 ratio LT230 which has very noisy internals so I think it would be best to get it rebuilt
I'm thinking / considering changing ratio to 1.2 and loading a Disco map into the ECU - would there be any benefit in this / would it work OK or would it struggle with power issues in a defender using 1.2
alternatively would I be better off keeping it at 1.4 and fitting roamer drive or would it not have the guts?

thoughts?

I’d say that if you tow much or drive heavily laden, a 1.4 unit would be best, especially if you have anything on the roof, but a 1.2 should do well behind a mildly tweaked TD5 if the car is normally “clean”, even with NZ topography.

• Thanks 1

One of the best things I have done to my 110 was to fit the 1.2 transfer box. My TD5 has been tweaked by a former owner but pulls the gearing and our trailer well and is much quieter and nicer to drive long distance now. 

An overdrive would be better but was too expensive! 

• Thanks 1

On 4/22/2010 at 9:09 PM, picpoki said:

I have disco 200tdi conversion with 1.2 t-box.

With 2.5 petrol and 1.6 t-box top speed was 60mph. But let me say again TOP.

Now with 200tdi+ 1.2 top speed is the same. Is this normal?

Altough I still have some problems with a busted pipe from turbo to bosch pump...

If you got a broken boost compensation pipe you will struggle getting a decent top speed as the pump wont be supplying adequate fuel at higher revs and boost

5 hours ago, Tim2809 said:

If you got a broken boost compensation pipe you will struggle getting a decent top speed as the pump wont be supplying adequate fuel at higher revs and boost

If he hasn't fixed it in the last 11 years he's got bigger problems though :P

On 5/4/2021 at 7:38 PM, FridgeFreezer said:

Roamerdrive is a nice option (I love mine) but very expensive compared to the others I'd think.

if the Lotto comes in that wont be an issue - however the odds are that one gets hit and killed by a bus 8 times before you get a decent winning on Lotto here in NZ and I live a long way from buses, also rarely buy a ticket ☹️

makes "slim to none" sound good in comparison

A standard TD5 should manage a 1.2 ratio change well enough, but if you've gone for bigger diameter tyres, you may wish to look into tweaking the MAP. Don't try loading a Disco map onto a Defender ECU as this will cause all manner of issues.

There are many good programmers out there that can help with a decent map, good power and torque increases, no excesses of smoke, and the really clever ones will also be able to write out the MAF, correct the temp gauge readings (They don't go into the red til 105C  as standard !!!) and correct the Cruise Control parameters to work with the new gearing ratios...