Adwest boxes

Diablo

I've heard no end of bad stories about NPS' steering boxes [and had personal carp experience too.]

Has anyone here got anything bad to say about a proper Adwest one? I figure it's better to buy one of these and hope it lasts rather than get a box from NPS every couple of years

I know they're not cheap, but I'm fed up with my steering. Had the car nearly 4 years and it has never been up to standard, and I've changed pretty much everything there is to change.

Had an NPS box in for about 2 years, and it's now useless, and also leaking. Doesn't seem to work at all <5mph.

I must add that (on a personal level - not through work) i had bad experiences with NPS. No less than 3 replacement boxes in 6 months! first one was worse than the one i took out in terms of play and leaks, second one under warranty leaked immediately and failed an mot, and the third one leaked and they started getting funny about warranty at this point. - VERY long story short, i bought a brand new Adwest box and it's been faultless for three years now on 35" tyres with difflockers.

Steve

Just fitted a genuine Adwest one bought from Adwest 3 weeks ago. Came complete with drop arm and ball joint already fitted, brand new not recon, £200 +£50 surcharge + VAT which I thought was very reasonable.

The factory is not far from J10 of the M4, east side of Reading, they will do an "over the counter" sale if you ring them in advance. Since I'm in Reading every few weeks, that was far cheaper than getting them to post one and for me to send the old unit back.

I've emailed the bloke there and he's given me a price of £265 [or thereabouts]. No mention of surcharge at all... I thought you just bought the box?

And I live in Reading, so the saving in postage costs is another advantage.

Not going anywhere near NPS. The woman on the 'phone is lovely, but the product is not. My first failed in a matter of weeks, so I got another. That hasn't lasted 18 months really, and I'm not at all willing to give them yet more money.

3 years problem free is sounding promising to me steve

I've emailed the bloke there and he's given me a price of £265 [or thereabouts]. No mention of surcharge at all... I thought you just bought the box?

And I live in Reading, so the saving in postage costs is another advantage.

Not going anywhere near NPS. The woman on the 'phone is lovely, but the product is not. My first failed in a matter of weeks, so I got another. That hasn't lasted 18 months really, and I'm not at all willing to give them yet more money.

3 years problem free is sounding promising to me steve

Near enough the price I paid give a take a few quid - I think that price quoted is the default surcharge included price. So you get £50 +vat back if you take the old one back.

just a question , my cars started playing up steering wise , its really hard to turn left but easy as pie to turn right and this is on the spot without the car moving , when driving it just don't feel right , its not loose but the return to centre aint quite there does this sound like a box or a pump ? the box doesn.t leak and the belt seems fine on the pump

4" of play would be an improvement on my current situation. The QE2 has better turning...

And I shall email Ian (at Adwest) about this surcharge then. Would make it even more appealing to get an Adwest box.