Cranked Trailing Arms

tuko

I just got back from 3 days of off roading in southern Sweden where I pushed the hybrid to near destruction. :lol: There was this one particular large stone that I bounced the rear suspension off of that ultimately gave in and bent the left trailing arm. :o My trailing arms are an older pair of Defender arms that I custom bent a few years ago and welded angle steel to strengthen the bend. They served me well but after yesterdays bounce, one trailing arm is now bent like a banana just after the angle steel piece.

Driving home today was a nightmare, the rear steering was nearly uncontrollable if I went too fast. This issue needs to be addressed immediately and I'm wondering what is the most popular "Heavy Duty" (lets be serious with those words, I don't want anybody suggesting the toothpicks from a local mail order co.) trailing arms that can survive a bounce or three on a few rocks.

I'm looking at these babies; http://www.mudsport.co.uk/PSBETA/shop/product.php?id_product=202

Are they any good? The price is very reasonable for what you get. I like the 6mm walled CDS, my steering arm is of the same stuff and survived this weekend where all other parts seem to take a beating or fail. :ph34r:

Appreciate your suggestions.

Todd.

The arms listed look like pretty much the same material X-Arms are made from. We warranty them for 5 years unconditionally - so those arms will probably survive pretty well.

On the other hand Gwyn Lewis arms are about the best conventional cranked arms available in the UK - and if I didn't make my own, I'd probably buy Gwyn's!

Si

regarding the Gwyn Lewis arms, what does "twin wall" mean? are they OEM arms that have been sleved over and then bent?

Serg

basically yes, a little more complicated than that in practice though.

don't know wall thickness of the top of my head but I do know it is a tight fit over a oem trailing arm and that Gwyn is quite particular on what he uses, he recently sent a large batch of steel back that was intended for making these as it was not to his specifications.

Interesting, wouldn't there be rust issued down the road especially if you do a lot of fording? A sold thick rod would be better wouldn't it? :huh:

tack Soren.

It was late last night and when I see what I wrote now :blink: , I should have said one solid tube with thick walls.

Todd.

Adrenalin 4x4 are selling directly on eBay. If you live near Rotherham you can also deal directly with them. PM me if you want his phone number.

Outside of having loads of money spare to by Simonr's X-arms. These look like a good strong option.