Rear Door Handle

My Defender internal door/grab handle is useless. It bends when anyone puts any weight on it and I straightened it so many times I reckon it will break off by the bolts soon. :(

The military ones are stronger I know, but I've never been able to find one. They seem to go for silly prices on e-bay.

I just came across this and wondered if anyone has bought one and if so could you tell me if it's any good or not?

Thanks

Steve

DO NOT buy it from ebay that is a stupid price to pay.

I had the same problem as you and then it snapped off completely.

Went to land rover. Genuine it only cost £11 plus VAT and that was from a land rover stealer who is normally expensive for parts

Jon

pS Just realised it is a strengthened version so it may be worth the money. But my original handle lasted 12years, so for £11 im happy if the new one last the same amount of time.

I really should read properly before i post.

That's the same as the one on my Defender Ralph- except mine is about to break!

I think the original design of the handle is cr@p and is inherently weak, but the strengthened version on e-bay is a lot of money for a bent tube!

I'll call in at the local stealer Jon, but I reckon they'll want a bit more than £11 + vat!!

Thats definately what Jonathan paid for it as I was surprised when he told me. Wasn't really worth enquiring anywhere else as the postage would probably bring the price up to about the same level. They had to order it in which took a few days, so it might be worth ringing them up if you're not close to one.

Richard

i bought a handle ftom Ikea, it was a heavy tubular one like the have in disabled loos... only cost about £6, and was superb.

didn't look too out of place either.

Bloomin' good idea! Well done that man!!

I take it the spacing for the bolts is about right (or up to LR's normal tolerances!!!) : :lol:

Steve

Bloomin' good idea! Well done that man!!

I take it the spacing for the bolts is about right (or up to LR's normal tolerances!!!) : :lol:

Steve

not exactly, as each end has 3 small screws or bolts. as my reat door had a plywood door card and was covered in treadplate on the outside i just ran a drill through the whole thing!! :)

have a look at them though, it might work.

The military ones are stronger I know, but I've never been able to find one. They seem to go for silly prices on e-bay.

John Craddock has the later military type for £14 + Carriage & VAT

Part Number : RRC5662

REAR DOOR PULL HANDLE 90/110 MILITARY

http://www.johncraddockltd.co.uk/productno...?partno=rrc5662

Paul.

i bought a handle ftom Ikea, it was a heavy tubular one like the have in disabled loos... only cost about £6, and was superb.

didn't look too out of place either.

So the interior of your landy is bog standard then :lol: ......

Jon.