disco transfer box onto lt77

i seem to be fighting a wee bit to get 1st nowa days, and being as though im a lover not a fighter :hysterical: i was asking about, as to a solution.

the advice ive been given is..change my transfer box for a disco one and then itll be smooth as cream and will idle at lower revs and be quieter, make my tea,and wake me up for work.

is it gonna make that much difference?

its only gonna cost 42 quid for the part and ive no idea how long to fit ..but is it all worth it?

thanx in advance

If you currently have a 1.44 defender transfer box, then a disco box at 1.2 will get you higher gearing in high range. Means lower engine revs at a given speed = lower noise at motor way speeds etc, but less pull up the hills.

To point out the obvious, changing the transfer box won't change the shift change on the main box, or change the idle speed.

I can't remember if the main box needs to be lowered to remove the transfer box, but it'd probably take me the guts of a day to do it (I'm kinda slow and like my tea & biscuits!)

As to whether that's of any benefit to you, well that's up to you!

I can't remember if the main box needs to be lowered to remove the transfer box

you dont have to lower the gearbox. but if you have some help it would be a lot easier. Its a heavy lump weighted to one side. bench pressing it on into the right position is extremely hard work.....

When i did mine i did noticed the noise had dropped for a given road speed. however i would say after its been on there for a while you get used to normal loud droning again!

The disco transfer box is the same thing as the Defender one, just with taller gearing, so it will make you go faster for the same engine RPM in high range (low range is always the same).

This can mean more relaxed & quieter & more efficient cruising due to the big rattly lump up front having to do less revs, or it can mean a car which struggles when loaded/towing and is actually worse to drive.

Just to revisit your post to clarify a few things...

i seem to be fighting a wee bit to get 1st nowa days

Gears 1,2,3,4,5 and Reverse are in the main gearbox (LT77 or R380) so nothing to do with the transfer box.

its only gonna cost 42 quid for the part

Which part is that then, because I can't think of any individual part you can buy that will do what's being described here, unless some pedant wants exactly £42 for a used transfer box.

well..

i asked someone why my gear stick was awkward at various times and better at other times?

hes asked me wheteher the stick was leanin 2ward 1st or 5th when in neutral.i answered 1st.

then he told me that if i changed my transfer box for a discovery one that all ov the above would improove.

so... i phoned craddocks 42 quid or 60 with the sending so i supposed second hand, but my engines from them and ive had no probs with it so far (touch wood)

not really knowing whether or not to go ahead i chose to consult the forum.

Always good to ask.

The advice you received makes no sense to me at all.

I get the impression that you (or your friend) is talking about something other than a transfer box because they are a lot more than 42 quid - around 10 times the price for a recon - as it's a second gearbox that hangs off the main gearbox.

Sorry to say but I think something's been lost in translation there as none of that makes any sort of sense.

I don't think the lean of the stick has anything to do with anything, unless one of the gear lever springs has broken, and then it'd just be a bit wobbly.

Changing your transfer box wouldn't alter anything that was wrong with the main gearbox/gearshift.

I don't believe anyone would post you a working LT230 for £60, the one item that springs to mind is the transfer box input gear on its own, which are about £50 and known to wear out on older vehicles. Unfortunately though, they have very little to do with the gearshift, and I can't remember if they are the same for all ratios of transfer box or if it's actually not possible to fit a Disco one into a Defender box.

This is an LT230 input gear - later LT230T on the left, LT230R on the right:

2007-01-30_17.jpg

well..

i asked someone why my gear stick was awkward at various times and better at other times?

hes asked me wheteher the stick was leanin 2ward 1st or 5th when in neutral.i answered 1st.

then he told me that if i changed my transfer box for a discovery one that all ov the above would improove.

so... i phoned craddocks 42 quid or 60 with the sending so i supposed second hand, but my engines from them and ive had no probs with it so far (touch wood)

not really knowing whether or not to go ahead i chose to consult the forum.

before you spend any money, remove the gaiter around the gearsticks, both gear konbs, & any other soundproofing, at the base of the main gear lever, see if the bias spring has got both it's legs, the free end of each leg should rest on a bolt head, if one leg has broken, you'll have difficult gear changes as the spring is meant to return thelever to a straight line with 3rd & 4th gears. info below will help you locate 7 ensure the spring is intact & working correctly

biasspringadjust.jpg

Is it worth the hassle?

I note the other posts are regarding gearing etc, and the points you raised regarding selecting a gear.

I have changed my transfer box on my 110 as it died and I had a spare disco transfer box from the disco 200tdi upgrade I had done.

It says in all the manuals to drop the gear box and transfer box from the vehicle and split / replace on a work bench. Very wise words.

I did my exchange with the gearbox in situ, and it was a pig of a job for one man, but it is possible.

Was it worth the effort and hassle?

Well yes, it saved me a few £££'s and made my 110 useable again.

Have yet to notice any of the benifits of the higher gearing, as soon after the transfer box exchange, some muppet in a euro box went straight into the back of me at a round-about, claiming he didn't see me! (How can any one not see a 110?)

If you can get your hands on a known good transfer box, then it is (on paper at least) a straight swap. But my understanding is that the disco gearbox, is different from the 110.

sheeet :unsure:

i opened a can of worms i think ive got what i was looking for though.

westerns little tip seems to be along the lines of what i was asking about , ive still got soooo. much to learn :angry:

thanx all your truly a source thats the truth :D

Just to revisit your post to clarify a few things...

i seem to be fighting a wee bit to get 1st nowa days

Gears 1,2,3,4,5 and Reverse are in the main gearbox (LT77 or R380) so nothing to do with the transfer box.

Not exactly.... LT77S and R380 are the same gearing. The LT77 has different gearing than the LT77S. 2nd, 3rd and 5th are lower.