land rover alloy wheel nuts!!!

Badger90

Now... land rover alloy wheel nuts,

am i the only one that thinks that they are bloody awfull?

them stupid little caps that they have,

i have use my impact gun to undo my wheel nuts couple of time with out remebering that they have them caps on!!!

now they are buggers to get off as all the caps are out of shap,

i use the gun to spin them on loosly but i then torque them up to 140nm so i dont strech the studs

i was told at some point that you can buy steel alloy wheel nuts????? true or fulse?

like the freelander alloy nuts? but bigger?

cheers

sam

I don't know which model of Land Rover you are referring to, but you might be experiencing the same issue that has affected 38A wheel nuts. These are a steel nut inside a crimped on stainless steel cover. In normal use the cover never comes off. The steel nut rusts, and therefore swells. This deforms the cover such that the socket will not push over the swelled section. If you hammer the socket on you later have to hammer or lever it off again. The impact wrench has no effect on this problem, it's all down to the rust.

Three possible cures.

1/ Cut off the stainless steel cover, clean the rust off, and use a smaller socket. I've never tried, but most people seem to give up after struggling to remove the first cover, and realise there are another 19 to do.

2/ Buy a replacement set of nuts, possibly secondhand from someone who is 'blinging up' to a set of wheels from a later vehicle, and has to buy new nuts for those wheels.

3/ Stainless steel nuts from, I think, Wrightway engineering. You need a stainless steel card, because plastic ones melt.

(Expensive)

HTH

i have a k-reg 200tdi 90 but with 24spline axles from a p-reg automatic discovery.

the nuts i have are the stainlees cap with the alloy nut.

i have taken one of caps of.. it was not a nice job to do but after that i found out the nut inside is a 26mm not not 27mm when i bought a alloy wheel 27mm socket for alloy wheels.

cheers for that.. i will have a look at the poeple you siad about.

i did find some a min ago.. (i can not remeber the name) but they are £200 for set of 20 stainlees wheel nut :blink:

cheers

sam

I have definately got a set of solid steel (ie with out the stupid caps) alloy wheel nuts that fit a defender/disco 1 and rangie.

They are exactly the same shape and profile as the alloy ones with caps (but dont bend!)

I dont however have any idea of a part number or where they came from . . . . . :unsure:

I don't know which model of Land Rover you are referring to, but you might be experiencing the same issue that has affected 38A wheel nuts. These are a steel nut inside a crimped on stainless steel cover. In normal use the cover never comes off. The steel nut rusts, and therefore swells. This deforms the cover such that the socket will not push over the swelled section. If you hammer the socket on you later have to hammer or lever it off again. The impact wrench has no effect on this problem, it's all down to the rust.

Ahhhhhh!!!!!! Now it all makes sense to me :rolleyes:

Hi All,

The actual wheelnuts you are all talking about are the steel wheelnuts from RRC's fitted with those fugly three spoke alloys wheels.

They were fitted from the early 80's to '92/3, throw those nuts with the chrome covers in the bin.

ahhh i did not know that RRc have them.. i will have a look about then,

landkeeper: i did use a 6 point socket, it will nackerd them lol.

david: okay i missed the t out.. :P the link still works though lol