How do you test

hi guys.

another newbie question i'm afraid.

i bought an ABS snorkel from mm-4x4 and im not 100% happy its water tight. has anyone else had any dealings with these snorkels? is there a way to test they work? i was told that if u cover it then it should stall the engine but was told today it isn't true. so how can u test they work without the possibility of drowning the engine if it doesn't?

also what are your opinions of diff guards? are they any use or just an unneccesary extra.

thanks again for all advice.

Luke

if its airtight and you block the intake the engine will starve of oxygen and will stop you can then listen for hissing as it draws air in any leaks if it doesnt stop its not water tight

Hi,

Yes, it is true that if you cover the intake, and there are no air leaks, then it will stall the engine as the engine is drawing in air as part of the combustion process. I guess this only really works if you have a large hole in the system as the engine will not be able to run off the small amount of air being sucked in through a join crack etc.

Diff gaurds.....well it depends whether you going rock crawling of gentle greenlaning and what type of gaurd you were thinking of.

Steve

Hi,

Yes, it is true that if you cover the intake, and there are no air leaks, then it will stall the engine as the engine is drawing in air as part of the combustion process. I guess this only really works if you have a large hole in the system as the engine will not be able to run off the small amount of air being sucked in through a join crack etc.

Diff gaurds.....well it depends whether you going rock crawling of gentle greenlaning and what type of gaurd you were thinking of.

Steve

as steve said cover the intake, if it doesn't stall then there is an issue, if this happens you can spray a tiny (REALLY tiny) bit of WD40 into each joint or seem, it should rev a bit if there are any spaces

Make a cap so that you can clamp over the top of the snorkle, but leave a compressor fitting in the cap. Then introduce about 20psi into the top of the snorkle with a compressor and spray the joins throughout the system and airbox etc with a soap solution. Any leaks will manifest themselves with bubbles.

Well, thanks everyone for the advice and tips. i covered the end of the snorkel and it didn't stall the engine, although there is some serious pressure build up in there. i have found the problem area which is where it connects to the wing. i will take it off tomorrow and for the final time i will try to make good a rather painfull design. this snorkel is a nightmare to work with, am starting to wish i had bought the safari.

and steve, i am starting to be more adventurous with what i do but i don't ever go rock crawling and i was only thinking of the simple diff guards nothing to fancy. so by the sounds of it i shouldn't lose any sleep over not having any.

thanks again for all advice. :i-m_so_happy:

Luke

For the tiny cost of diff guards compared to all the other mods you can do on a Landy, plus the fact that the diff pan is very thin metal I'd say fit them and forget the worry! A hole in the diff pan can leave you stranded.

After seeing the damage to diff housings when they get hit on rocks etc. where the crown wheel sits in the axle I immediately bought some diff guards to put on my truck as someone else has said the metal there is very thin and to stop me having to remove and replace the axle every time I damaged it out playing! it was peace of mind more than anything else you could always do what HFH-nige has done and armour the casing up with a Toyota one there is a thread on the forum here where he's done just that with pictures too

HTH

John

hi, thought i would share an update.

i took the snorkel off and blocked the box which is atached to the inside of the wing and within 4-5 seconds the engine stalled so i have re-attached the snorkel using plenty of sealant. i have sprayed a small amount of wd40 around the joins which made no difference to the way the engine ran so i am almost there. i will try blocking the snorkel tomorrow when the sealant has comletely dried. so thanks for all the advice. looks like i will be taking the landy swimming very soon lol.

also i will be ordering the diff guards as it seems its better to be safe then sorry.

all the best

thanks

luke