New (old) Toy and need a bit of Leccy Help

I know, I should know better but I just had to buy this :

post-22-127387011333_thumb.jpg post-22-127387012871_thumb.jpg

A antique, stupidly heavy monster Donkey saw, for those "Slightly Thicker bits"

Doncha Know :P like this small piece of "'Solid' Box section" I had lying about....

post-22-127387024802_thumb.jpg

Lovely :P

Right, now you have all had a laugh, having bought this (silly cheap and single phase)

I have spent some time on it and it now works lovely :) The coolant pump is driven from

the pulley and belts so no additional motor, and that now sprays fluid everywhere beautifully :lol:

BUT

It was originally 3 Phase, the Single phase conversion has been a tad "Brutal" and the unit

now has just a big FO Single Phase motor and a plug, that it :(

There is on the unit a red / green stop start unit, and a clicky off unit pressed on descent which

would switch the entire kit off :) But its not used and empty :

post-22-127387043107_thumb.jpg post-22-127387041059_thumb.jpg

So my questions are :

1. Can I use the red /. green 3 P unit and re wire in some way to Single Phase, and if so exactly how ?

2. Same as above re the clicky off switch - can I and exactly how ?

Pretty please

:)

Nige

PS Christ its heavy :rofl:

What kind of weirdo chops up enough donkeys that he needs a purpose-built mechanical saw for it? :ph34r: Glad to see you've put it to more normal duties, like chopping gigantic chunks of steel into slices.

If you hoik the covers off, and take a snap of what's inside, I'll point it at my resident 3-phase monkey. He should be able to get some measure of it by proxy.

By-the-by, I stuck that diff pan on today, looks luverly. It was the first proper test of our new (but old) Hobart 3-phase welder, a 350A/80% duty cycle monster thing, which easily surmounted the problem of the military diff-pan being 2mm smaller on the outside than the wall of my diff pan was on the inside... :P just had to add a little extra thickish plate to the inside of the wall.

Heavy it might be, but lovely it definitely is.

Jake

I have a 1973 Startrite Mercury floor standing pillar drill that's 3-phase. It runs on my single phase supply via an inverter that only cost me £50. Programmed and connected by some clever members of this website smile.gif

The thing works beautifully, and is as good as the day it was made - I'm very pleased with it smile.gif

post-2-127390481912_thumb.jpg

post-2-127390483103_thumb.jpg

Shame your machine has been butchered Nige sad.gif

Les.

Hi Nige.

Dependant on whats left in terms of wiring, and the motor type you may be able to use an inverter to convert the single phase house supply

into 3 phase 230V that the motor should be able to accept.

Can you take a photo of the rating plate for the motor (should be on the side of the motor, and should have the motor ratngs stamped onto it)

If you lucky it will have dual ratings for both 230V and 415V or delta a star configurations.

Likewise a photo of the inside of the motor terminal box would be useful. Basically take off the cover where the motor cables go into the motor, and you should see 6 studs. A photo of these would be useful.

Rich.

People, the motor is single phase.

Nige - you might be able to use not all of the terminals in the switch box (just L & N instead of 3L's and an N) - would only take a few mins to try. Or just buy a single phase motor switch from ebay or wherever.

The other switch would have been wired back into that main switch box. Often there is a diagram on the inside of the lid - is it there? (pic)

Al.

Nige,

I have the same machine in the workshop, single phase as well. It is stopped by a clever arm which sits on the moving head of the saw - as it descents it switches off the button on the switch.

Can take some snaps if you like?

I know, I should know better but I just had to buy this :

So my questions are :

1. Can I use the red /. green 3 P unit and re wire in some way to Single Phase, and if so exactly how ?

No. not really if it's a 3 phase contactor and trip unit. I have just junked all the 3 phase kit from my lathe after getting a VFD and going single phase"

2. Same as above re the clicky off switch - can I and exactly how ?

the following starters/overload trips look like your best best from MM

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/range/details/direct-on-line-starters/path/accessories-consumables

£25 ish quid

HTH Pete