Tyre sizing?

The time is now on me to purchase some new tyres and I am currently using 265/75/16 special tracks and I am looking at other sizing options. Following a discussion with like-minded fellows at the pub last night, my mates reckon that 235/85/16 tyres are considerably taller than 265/75/16 when comparing like for like tyres. But by my calculations :unsure: I make it that the difference is only about 1mm. Am I right or do I have to beg for humble pie?

Neil

bear in mind tyre wear will make much more difference

I know. mine are well down :(

Even on brand new tyres and the same brand they may state eg. 235/85/16 it doesnt mean they are always the same and can vary enormously depending (retreads) on what carcassing they use. I know a mate of mine who ordered 235/85/16 Insa turbo special traks and found them to be only 31" tall compared to other new ones he had which were 33" tall, yet all stamped the same on the sidewall. :blink:

Thanks Steve, that is a handy tool!

It now begs the question though.....what size tyres would have been OE fitment to my 1991 90? Then I can work out my speedo accuracy. :D Or rather innacuracy!

Most Defender 90s had 205R16s as standard fitment back then, a few special orders would have had 7.50R16s or 235/85x16.

You could pop out your speedo opinion and check what colour it is. That will tell you what size tyres it is theoretically geraed for. Otherwise use a GPS to measure your actual road speed. Remember most factory speedos deliberately under read.

"It now begs the question though.....what size tyres would have been OE fitment to my 1991 90? Then I can work out my speedo accuracy. Or rather innacuracy!"

Factory fit for Defenders with alloy wheels was 265/75x16 for many years, they changed to 235 on later models. Pre-Defender it was just 205 or 7.50.

If you have the blue drive-gear in place you should be ok with those sizes, mine is actually amazingly accurate.

Thanks guys for the help (not you Ross :angry: )I didnt know about the speedo drive colour! I will check this out as I have been "caught out" before with the Series v8 hybrid I had and had a nice picture taken of me doing 34 in a 30 and ended up on a speed awareness course. Oh and £60 lighter!! :(

Euro, no it wasnt that size they were thinking of they just thought that 85 profile must be bigger than a 75 profile.

Ok Ross Il compare rubber with you if... your truck makes it too a landy meet! Oh and I got some seats sorted now just need time to install them.

Neil