Oil Spots on Back Door

Hi all,

It looks like the filler plug on the rear diff is leaking and oil is spotting over the back door on a run. I fitted a new plug, but that seems as loose as the old one and if I wind it in any further it's likely to drop inside ! Which makes me think it's damaged threads. Is there anything I can put on the thread to seal it ?

Sparky

As Ralph has said, a good thick layer of ptfe tape, wound on in the correct direction (if it's in the wrong direction you'll leave it all on the outside ;) )

Having said that, a leaky filler usually just dribbles down the diff pan.

Check that oil isn't leaking from the diff input seal in the diff nose behind the drive flange that the prop bolts to. This is the more likely cause of oil spots on the back door.

HTH

Mo

As Mo says - pinion seal is a likely contender. I had this on mine once and emptied the rear diff on a run to Newport and back. Made a hell of a mess on the back door and buggered the diff in the process.

Good points thanks - will check them out. I can see a smear of oil down the diff from the filler plug after a run and drips collect at the bottom, which made me think it was coming from there and they were getting caught in the airflow and curling up behind the tail end. The spotting seemed to get worse after I replaced it with a new plug. Wanted to try anything you guys could recommend as a good thread sealer first.

There are also drips on the bottom bolts on the transfer box plate and I am trying to work out where they are coming from. Drips happily when hot during a run, but stops within a minute or so of stopping...which is a pain when you're trying to clean it and look for evidence of a leak !

Sparky

Oil on the back door can come from anywhere in my experience.

I had the fuel spill return come loose and leak diesel down the side of the block, where it was blown back and round onto the back door.

Sadly mine doesn't have one of those :unsure:

Had another closer look and (fortunately) it's definately looking like the topping-up plug threads, looks to be some damage at the bottom. PTFE tape has improved it and reduced the spotting but it's still dribbling down the diff after a run...

Sparky

is tha axle breather clear? i would have thought ptfe woul;d have solved the leak unless it is being forced out, but the more usual place to spot this is the seal nearer the wheel and you get oil all over the wheels