Hydraulic Bonnet Stays

I know this has been discussed before but I have not been able to find the min/max lengths that would be most desirable. I only have new ones to choose from locally but they're not that expensive, I just want to make sure I select something in the right length range.

Photos of how you went about installing them would also be very useful.

Ross (landroversforever) has them on his, as he never takes it anywhere I'm sure he could take some photos of the fitting...

Jason.

I think I would favour the arrangement shown in Dave's photo where the angle bracket supports the bonnet. Ross' setup is relying on two pop rivets to support the weight of the bonnet (yes I know it's not hugely heavy!).

Just my 2p...

Are there any super heavy duty hydraulic bonnet stays that can open the bonnet with the spare tyre attached to the bonnet. Want to retain the spare on the bonnet, it just gives the 110 a better image!

Are there any super heavy duty hydraulic bonnet stays that can open the bonnet with the spare tyre attached to the bonnet. Want to retain the spare on the bonnet, it just gives the 110 a better image!

So you'll be wanting a PTO powered hydro setup then :lol:

Seriously though, I'd stick with the standard bonnet prop if you want the spare up front. They're surprisingly strong.

So you'll be wanting a PTO powered hydro setup then :lol:

Seriously though, I'd stick with the standard bonnet prop if you want the spare up front. They're surprisingly strong.

or a tiny space saver ! :lol:

In a recent thread where someone wanted to use 38A tailgate struts for something, somebody, I think it was the OP, later contributed a 'How To' covering calculation of the strut strength required for any given load.

I suggest doing the search dance.

Because Austin Maxis won't be common in scrapyards it probably won't help now, but the strongest struts I ever came across were those fitted to an Austin Maxi tailgate. This was a good sized tailgate, with a large piece of glass in it, and having had to hold one up while removing the struts I can confirm they are heavy.

The problem is that the structure (bonnet and wings in your case) has to be strong enough to take the localised loading caused by the strut. Your bonnet is designed to pass it's load through the rear and front edges, not the side edges, so I think you would need local stiffening, although I confess I don't have to be familiar with the details of 110 construction (and long may that lack of need continue!!).

HTH

In a recent thread where someone wanted to use 38A tailgate struts for something, somebody, I think it was the OP, later contributed a 'How To' covering calculation of the strut strength required for any given load.

Because Austin Maxis won't be common in scrapyards it probably won't help now, but the strongest struts I ever came across were those fitted to an Austin Maxi tailgate. This was a good sized tailgate, with a large piece of glass in it, and having had to hold one up while removing the struts I can confirm they are heavy.

The problem is that the structure (bonnet and wings in your case) has to be strong enough to take the localised loading caused by the strut. Your bonnet is designed to pass it's load through the rear and front edges, not the side edges, so I think you would need local stiffening, although I confess I don't have to be familiar with the details of 110 construction (and long may that lack of need continue!!).

HTH

Twas Me... Calculations on the post.

Jason.

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=55202

HTH

The Austin Maestro had a ridiculously heavy tailgate. There might be a slightly better chance of finding one of them in a scrappy than a Maxi.

when i get five minutes i'll scan the back pages of the gas spring catalogue i have here, and get someone to add them to one of the posts. the details give extended length, stroke length and force (in N) per rod.

there is also a set of drawings to go with it for the type of end fittings.

some of them (audi's stand out) use a welded eye on the end, rather than a ball joint.

when i get five minutes i'll scan the back pages of the gas spring catalogue i have here, and get someone to add them to one of the posts. the details give extended length, stroke length and force (in N) per rod.

there is also a set of drawings to go with it for the type of end fittings.

some of them (audi's stand out) use a welded eye on the end, rather than a ball joint.

Thanks would appreciate it.

Yes, that would be great. I will also mount two for sure. Heading to New Brunswick to pick up my latest shipment which includes my new clutch box, so I'll finally be able to assemble the left-wing and start getting these bits sorted. :)

Ooo...I'm breaking a RRC too, so have the tailgate struts.

Dave is there any chance you could post any more detailed/closer photos of the fixings etc? Are there any specific measurements?...Or is it just a case of trial and error to get them in the right place?

We use these all the time on the lorry lockers, http://www.albert-jagger.co.uk/Portals/0/010_b1_gasspring.pdf

As for measurements ,for mounting for 90 degree opening we set the top(on the bonnet) at 140mm from the hinge and for 140 degree opening 110mm from the hinge, but you need longer stroke struts to achieve this amount of opening.

As for heavy duty ones they go up to 2500 newtons so plenty of scope!

They do all the mounting brackets etc for most applications