Toolkit and spares...

monkeyb0y

Hi All,

just seen a post on a guy stuck away from home with limited tools - which has made my mind up to make this post! - i was considering it anyway!!

What tools\spares should i (do you) keep in back incase of breakdowns...

theres several considerations i want to take into account for my circumstances...

Going away - on hols for example, i want to limit what space i use for tools...

If it breaks, what is likely to be repairable \ with \ what parts im carrying..?

Breakdown cover (is it bettter to take hit and have this and carry next to nothing?)

I want to maybe restrict mytool kit to a standard toolbox (2" X 10')-ish

what do i take...

Spares..

Serpentine belt.

Diesel Filter

Aray of fuses \ bulbs

gaffer tape (if the sealent gives up on sunroof in a storm lol)

Tools..

Sockets\wrench

Spaners

Molegrips

Pliers

Im talking normal usage here, what is capable of being fixed & feesable, the common things that can be done roadside, or achievable in a mobile \ away from home situation within reason..Are there any hidden "little" things that can be taken or used to prevent disaster?

Rich

I'm all over the country in my p38 leaving it for weeks on end parked up when i'm at work and all i carry is a swiss army knife, 1/2" socket set, + - screwdriver, jack, jump leads and a bottle of water.

If i break down and i can't bodge it, then mr AA brings me home !

G

My preference is the minimalist approach...

Multitool (includes pliers, knife, screwdrivers etc)

Gaffa & Insulation Tape

Cable Ties

Tow Rope

RAC membership card

Fuel Filter

Water dispersal / lubricant spray

I change the engine oil in my Landy, Wifey's car, motorbike etc every spring. This generates 20 litres of used engine oil. I filter this in a filter bag, and put 1 litre into every tankful of diesel in my TD5. Because of this I carry a spare fuel filter just in case...

The Disco's done 165000 miles in 8 years (owned by me from new). The things that have gone wrong so far (such as ACE failure, and fuel pump failure) haven't stranded me at the side of the road - I've managed to limp home or to a place where the vehicle can be repaired. Also I would not have tried to fix ACE or Fuel Pump at the side of the road...no matter how many spares or tools I carried (unless it happened in the middle of Africa!).

I change the engine oil in my Landy, Wifey's car, motorbike etc every spring. This generates 20 litres of used engine oil. I filter this in a filter bag, and put 1 litre into every tankful of diesel in my TD5. Because of this I carry a spare fuel filter just in case...

Why do you do this? Not having a go, just interested!

Why do you do this? Not having a go, just interested!

Saves taking old oil to the recycling at the council recycling tip, also saves me £1.20 per tank...what's not to like! 20 litres of oil is like £24 of fuel. A TD5 runs fine (if not better) with a bit of oil in the fuel tank... Any oil sludge or gear oil can be used as a rust prevention on the chassis as well if you're keen (although I prefer waxoyl, I have mixed oil in teh waxoyl too...works fine).

It's quote a common thing...along with biodiesel and veg oil...If you have patience, there's a really good thread here: http://www.landyzone.co.uk/lz/f7/cooking-oil-td5-80487.html

Will the used oil not have lots of little particles in it? wouldnt have thought it would be too good for the engine... :unsure:

Any particles will already have been in the engine (as oil). On a TD5, the engine's centrifugal oil filter is supposed to filter down to 2 microns anyway. The standard on-board fuel filter (behind your rear drivers-side wheel) filters down to between 5-10 microns.

I have a 5 micron filter bag which I run the old oil through first to take out any bits which may have dropped-on to my oil bath when I'm draining the oil (such as a bit of chassis rust or an errant sump-plug-washer).

The Injection system prefers particles smaller than 20 microns or you could start to block things up.

Don't forget that the diesel you fill-up with may not be that clean anyway...especially in some parts of the world!

One of my mates used to have a Pajero. Every time his Mrs shopped at the cheap shops (Lidl, Aldi etc) they brought home a 35 litre tub of veg oil, and dropped that into the tank before filling with diesel - ran fine for years. Lots of people run old engine oil through the tank - even up to 25% mix...

Mty filtering 20 litres of old oil per annum, and running it mixed 60 ot 70:1 is fine...the car even runs smoother! There is a thought that lube-iing the Turbo like this also makes it last longer...