Hydraulic Pumps - Log splitter

Defender

Hi Defender

You have posted a great list of log splitter which can be built. Can you please provide some more information on this.

Thanks in advance

John

Hi Johnabcd,

You need to talk to 'bobbd' about the log splitter he is the person who designed and built it. If your after more info maybe send him a PM.

Looking back at this thread, nobody has suggested using the existing PAS pump as a hydraulic supply. Why would it be unsuitable? Insufficient pressure or volume?

Chris

Hi Chris,

Yes the standard PS pump does not flow enough for the requirements. Yes it would work but it would be slow especially for winching.

Yes, I have seen Milemarker winches on stock hydro pumps!

I was really thinking about log splitting; what about using the standard PAS pump with an accumulator (mention of a dive cylinder made me think of that) to store pressure in between logs? Or am I barking up the wrong tree? (pun intended!) Please excuse my lack of knowledge ref hydraulics.

Chris

Yes, I have seen Milemarker winches on stock hydro pumps!

I was really thinking about log splitting; what about using the standard PAS pump with an accumulator (mention of a dive cylinder made me think of that) to store pressure in between logs? Or am I barking up the wrong tree? (pun intended!) Please excuse my lack of knowledge ref hydraulics.

Chris

Fluids don't presurise like gases so this wouldn't work. If they did presurise it would make your power steering work in an interesting way.

Edit: as an interesting experiment fill a syringe with water and try to squeeze it, then try again when it just has air in it.

The point of an accumulator is that is contains a gas filled bladder which means that you can store pressure even though the remainder of the system is filled with a non-compressible liquid.

However, the size of accumulator which would be required to make this work is substantial, and the pressure at which you would need it to operate is likely to be significantly higher than you can generate with a PAS pump.

Hydraulic accumulators don't really work in the same way as batteries do to store energy, they are more like a capacitor which allows you to smooth out short term pressure peaks and troughs, or give just enough pressure to keep a valve closed or open when the system is unpowered.

I've used electric PAS pumps - Vauxhall Corsa or Saxo ones are good - for more general hydraulic purposes such as tube bending, rear steer and the powered twist in the middle articulation on my Suzuki. I think it would be fine for a log splitter but only draws 150A - so nowhere near the power required for a winch.

Si