How would you fix it?

Ok...ive got a soft top, which I dont intend to have on for most of the summer...

So how do I stop chavs from nicking my tax disc?

Suggestions so far include a motor cycle tax disc holder bolted with allen bolts to a flap or wing....Any others?

One of those theft proof plastic holder thingys avail from Post Offices or motor factors

keith

Photocopy it. That will demonstrate that you have one, and the DVLA computer is now linked to the Police National Computer, which means that a Bobby will be able to check you do hold valid VEL. If it's still an issue, they can ask that you produce to a Police Station.

If you explain the situation, I'm sure they will sympathyse. I understand that the photocopying thing is common practice amongst bikers.

Photocopy it. That will demonstrate that you have one, and the DVLA computer is now linked to the Police National Computer, which means that a Bobby will be able to check you do hold valid VEL. .

It was my understanding that the VEL must be displayed at all times and that failing to display was an offence. You are in a better position to know than I however! :)

Chris

I'd stick with the motorcycle tax disc holder, but mount it in such a way that it's as much as possible flat against something so they got to try and force their fingers between the tax disc and the item before they can get a good enough grip on it to start levering it off. Never had any problems with mine on my bikes and that's even leaving it in college car parks et cetera :rolleyes:

It was my understanding that the VEL must be displayed at all times and that failing to display was an offence. You are in a better position to know than I however! :)

Chris

Technically it is, but so is failing to produce valid Insurance, MOT and Driver's Licence at the roadside on demand! There's little that can be done if the vehicle is seen without the driver present, other than inform the DVLA, but they know you've got tax anyway. If the legit VEL disc is kept in a wallet etc and is able to be produced on demand, I can't see that there'd ever be a problem.....

Not long after I bought the 2A, a local scrote swiped the disc and put it in his car. He was chased by police and rolled the vehicle just at the end of the street as it happens. The advice I got from the Police was to remove the disc whenever the vehicle is being left unattended as it can easily be checked if the vehicle is taxed or not anyway. As Si says - the conversation was much the same - it is an offense not to display the disc, but then if your vehicle is of a type that can't be secured efficiently, then removal of the disc is an act of crime prevention, and no prosecution would follow. Just make sure you put it on display if you are driving - no tax on display in a moving vehicle is bound to raise suspicion.

Les. :)

Just make sure you put it on display if you are driving - no tax on display in a moving vehicle is bound to raise suspicion.

Les. :)

So how can they check that dics while your are moving?

So how can they check that dics while your are moving?

Traffic police are darn good at spotting tax disc[or lack of] in moving vehilces, with the latest number plate info system, it only takes a a very short time for them to recieve a answer which shows if the vehicle is correctly taxed/MOT'd/insured.