Bonnet Stuck on 90

The bonnet is stuck on my 1991 Defender 90 200 TDI.

Its happened before and i managed to get it open but not this time.

The bonnet release cable seems to be the issue as the catch under the bonnet is moving fine.

Any suggestions.

Cheers

James

When mine stuck, I found that the striker was bent and wouldn't pop up until some one pushed down on the bonnet as I pulled on the lever. Or a bungee cord on the Releas lever and me on the bonnet.

Once open you could check your spring on the catch and ensure that is still ok?

Chris

I had similar problems with the release bar seizing. I ended up fitting MoD/Camel Trophy style bonnet clasps and removed the spring from the bonnet pin, winding the pin in a bit further so that it acts a a bonnet locator on the latch but doesn't engage the locking mechanism. No more trouble.

if the pin & catch is kept well greased, it should work fine,maqke sure the Z clip for the bonnet cable outer is in place attached to the slam panel & the outer hasn't pulled from the release handle end in the cab.

My tip, after needing both hands to pull the release:

When you do eventually get it open, strip the cable (including the outer, leaving the inner in the outer) out of the vehicle, part fill a small balloon or condom with any kind of thickish oil (EP90 or engine oil) cable tie it over the open end of the cable and hang it up overnight to allow the oil to work its way down. Take the oil sac of the top and leave it again to allow the excess to run out, then refit. Works wonders with speedo cables, bike brake cables and handbrake cables too.

(Condom suggestion courtesy of a former GPO mechanic neighbour of mine - ta Reg)

you can't loosen them with the bonnet closed, the bolt heas are on the top face of the slam/catch panel

Well thats odd because i've just checked mine and they definately go in from the bottom upwards, into captive nuts in to a bonnet pin locating plate on top of the slam panel. Maybe it's non original then. :unsure:

• 9 years later...

I am new here and helping a friends mom out who’s son died unexpectedly. On a 90 defender can some please tell me where the bonet release lever is located inside the cab?

thi defender was an Israeli military vehicles   used in the first gulf war or so i was told, if that makes any difference