Stub axles and swivels

evil90

Where is the best place to get a pair of rear stub axles for an early disco and front swivel assemblies for my 200tdi defender as i am doing a major overhaul and would like to change the lot and what sort of price would you say was good for the above

Thanks in advance

Frank

frank can you wait till october , old sodbury will be the place for front axel ends or capel this sunday, for the rear stub axels get new ones, paddocks or cradocks i dont think there that dear :)

frank can you wait till october , old sodbury will be the place for front axel ends or capel this sunday, for the rear stub axels get new ones, paddocks or cradocks i dont think there that dear :)
hope not landrovers want 100 each for the stub axles

Frank

That's whats finaly pushed me into going disks on the back. S/H axle disk braked axle has cost less than one stub axe (plus seals, shoes,...) for my current drum braked jobbie. Last time I needed one for the front I got a s/h stub axle from paddocks so might be worth calling them to see if they have any salvage parts.

Try Brooklyn 4x4 - they just got me a stub axle for less than half the price two other mainstream parts suppliers quoted. :D:D

V8Bertha on here works thre too so he might be able to help you out.

i shall have to have a word with him then i already have a dico disc braked rear axle but the edge wear the seal goes has a deep groove in it and lets the water in every time i go anywhere near it so i want to change both rears the fronts dont need doing as one is new and the other doesnt look that old anyway i am changing the swivels because they are pitted

Frank

Frank, IMHO its got to be genuine or very good pattern parts otherwise its a waste of money. I use Allmakes stubs, genuine seals and Timkin bearings. The front never causes me problems because the hubs are always being stripped but I think the backs are finally giving up after 2 and a half years as I rarely pull the entire hub to inspect the rear seal. I've also not been running them on oil which makes a BIG differance.

My advice is run the bearings on EP90, makesure they're propery setup and use genuine parts. If you do that then you should get very good life out of them. :)

In theory the bearings will last longer if they are greased. However, in practice they will last longer if they are oiled. The reason being that if they are greased the first indication you get of the seals failing is when the wheelbearing fails - with potentially dramatic results. Mine (NSF) seized at ~70mph in the middle lane of the M4 while overtaking 2 lorries. Fortunatly I was past the first lorry and had not started to pass the second lorry so there was a gap to be dragged into - trust me, a seized wheel bearing has a large input in the steering! With an oiled system, even if the seal goes there is plenty of oil from the diff to lubricate and to leak all over the disk and run down the inside of the tyre, allerting you to the fact that there is a problem which you can then mend with a new seal and new pads. I have converted my Defender.

On the subject of buying stub axles; beware of cheap pattern parts. I bought a Bearmach (supplied) one from a reputable online dealer, fitted it to the Landrover and then wondered why I could not get the hub back on. After some fairly vigourous tapping with the copper persuasion tool I gave up, removed and measured the part and discovered that it was simply several thou. too large a diameter for the wheel bearing (an OE item) to fit. After some treatment from PaulW's lathe it fitted correctly. Bloody poor show though.

Chris

Where is the best place to get a pair of rear stub axles for an early disco and front swivel assemblies for my 200tdi defender as i am doing a major overhaul and would like to change the lot and what sort of price would you say was good for the above

Thanks in advance

Frank

Frank

I've got a brand new LR genuine parts stub axle (FTC57) avaliable. Send me a PM if you're interested

Dave

my local dealer (lookers in hadleigh) offered to do me defender 300Tdi rear stubb axles for £55 each if i bought a pair......

That aint the price i got off microcat i will have to pop in there and get some from them if that is the case i am in there all the time anyway just trying to get a bigger discount out of them now

Cheers

Frank