Who Sells

no problem with splitting caliper for rebuild provided the corect seals & care is taken, for vented calipers you'll need 4 seals per caliper to seal the spacer block fluid drillings to each caliper half, for standard calipers just 2 seals for each caliper are required.

OK chaps, spot of bother :(

Have bought above seals 17H8764L from LR series who sent Britpart items. Trouble is that the seals are too small being 13mm compared to the 16mm or so of the originals.

My question is, are the seals the correct size for the part number, in which case I've ordered the wrong bits and I'll have to take the hit on that one OR should the seals be 16mm and the items supplied are undersize in which case they go back to the supplier.

If they are in fact correct does anyone know the part number for the larger seal ?

A rather poor phone photo to illustrate the dilemma. Original seals at the top, new at the bottom.

18-09-10_2016.jpg

Ralph, these won't fill the recess even when squashed and will obstruct the drillings, they are simply too small.

The seal only stands proud by a fraction of a mil and the face of the other half of the caliper is flat so there's no way that this seal will seal the recess properly.

Have any of you other chaps found seals to be undersize when you've changed them ?

18-09-10_2253.jpg

this part number is for lockhead calipers for unvented early 110's (ie. mine) which i've used in the past, later td5 or vented discs have differet calipers that these dont fit but dont list a part number for. I had the same trouble on a mates and ended up fitting new calipers as it was less hassle

Ralph, these won't fill the recess even when squashed and will obstruct the drillings, they are simply too small.

The seal only stands proud by a fraction of a mil and the face of the other half of the caliper is flat so there's no way that this seal will seal the recess properly.

Have any of you other chaps found seals to be undersize when you've changed them ?

18-09-10_2253.jpg

very strange, maybe there is a duff batch out there.

same number for Discovery & RRC front caliper half seals

discovery rear caliper half seals are RTC1137 -- could be incorrectly identified on the package you got.

Ah now that's interesting Rusty, and would explain why the bloody things don't fit :)

Ralph, So there are 2 different seals, well found ! That's a discovery half in the picture which is the same size as my rangie calipers which have been rebuilt so it seems I need RTC 1137 for Disco rears. Splendid.

I'm sure I'll find a use for the others somewhere :) Dreading opening up the front calipers now, probably find I need yet another different size !

Mo

Mo, Is it the rear calipers? I ask because I split one of mine when refurbing them last year and could not get the seals from anywhere. Mine were the ruber cylindrical type and not o'rings. I ended up buying a replacement caliper from Keith Gott and retro fitting stainless pistons to the new caliper.

The cylindrical seals were used on my 1997 110 Defender 300tdi original rear Lockhead calipers. I didn't split the other 3 after the finding of no replacement seals.

If yours are defintely o'ring type seals ignore all the above.

Regards,

Lee